SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trouble shooting a range of electrical problems on my '95 900s. They include
  • instrument cluster occasionally losing dials and most lights right after starting the car...10 seconds later, they're back on and don't drop out again. I've removed and soldered the R13 resistor. May have worked.
  • Cruise control light functions intermittently - thinking it's the switch. Does anyone have experience with this? Even when on, I haven't been able to get the cruise to engage despite checking to see that the pedal switches are in place. I haven't looked for a vacuum leak yet.
  • Reverse lights not working (does anyone know where the switch is that activates the reverse lights?)
  • Finally, the rear hatch release works intermittently.
I've chosen to track down the rear hatch release, as it's a simple circuit (see attached pic). With the car off and no key in the ignition, I have 12v at the hatch switch in the door. The switch functions to put 12v on the GnBr wire. That 12v does not make it to the motor. E1 and E2 grounds are tight and surfaces clean ( I can't find E9 but would like to). The car likely sat for years with moisture in it. not a pond, but moisture - enough that some of the trim screw heads on the dash have white corrosion spots. There's a small amount of rust on a few metal parts under the dash. More on the front seat rails, and even more in the spare tire well (likely a rear hatch leak). Non of it's terrible.

Does the switch's output wire connect to anything else? Does anyone know what the 'Immobilizer' is and why it's on this circuit? Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Was thinking that my next step is to run a test wire from the switch to the motor to see if it works?

100.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would have thought your instruments going 'dark' could have been associated with a night panel aspect, but your description doesn't indicate that.

With regards to your reverse lights - That point may differ depending on the Transmission mode. Can you clarify if you have a Manual or Automatic?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have thought your instruments going 'dark' could have been associated with a night panel aspect, but your description doesn't indicate that.

With regards to your reverse lights - That point may differ depending on the Transmission mode. Can you clarify if you have a Manual or Automatic?
It's a manual transmission, and I just adjusted the shifter alignment in the transmission. I wonder if this is related, which is partially why I'm asking where the reverse light switch is. Is it in the transmission or somewhere near the shifter inside the car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found in a transmission replacement post that the Reverse Switch is on the transmission, so I'm guessing I need to redo the shifter/transmission alignment (again)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quickly to expand - just in case you were not aware via Bob's comment above- WIS is the workshop 'How to do & fault finding etc'. The EPC - is the parts catalogue.
They are both extremely useful.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
I just found in a transmission replacement post that the Reverse Switch is on the transmission, so I'm guessing I need to redo the shifter/transmission alignment (again)
The reverse light switches do fail, I've had to replace them on a couple of cars. If the car goes in reverse okay, and actually backs up, then my money is on the switch. Alignment doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wrapping this up:

Rear hatch switch fail: Wire severed between door and body inside the black flexible tube. Soldered. Fixed.

Cruise light not working: still not working. unclear why. brake and clutch switches work. SRS light is on (maybe that's an issue?), I think I've found all of the vacuum hoses and replaced the bad ones, getting ready to replace the control unit in the engine bay with a spare. (will report back, should I come up with anything novel/useful here)

Reverse light: this started working once I correctly adjusted the transmission-shifter linkage position

Dash lights intermittent: this worked with the R13 fuse solder fix, but I swapped the instrument cluster with one that had more functioning bulbs - also solved the problem.

Thanks for the assists!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts