SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys New here I'm looking at a Saab 900se turbo 5-speed thats only $900 but it has a bad clutch how involved/difficult is it to replace? Also is it anything like tuning other turbo imports? I really like the car, my dad used to have one and it seemed quick but I know I'll want more. I've heard that they are really strong motors but complicated when it comes to all the electronics that keeps the motor alive if something goes astray. Could I bolt on a GT30r turbo and bigger injectors with a water meth injection system and go for solid 300-375whp reliably on pump gas and who would be able to chip/tuned my ecu to handle it. Sorry for all the questions I'm just so confused nothing seems to mesh with what I've learned fron Jap cars.

Thanks,
-Austin

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Hey guys New here I'm looking at a Saab 900se turbo 5-speed thats only $900 but it has a bad clutch how involved/difficult is it to replace? Also is it anything like tuning other turbo imports? I really like the car, my dad used to have one and it seemed quick but I know I'll want more. I've heard that they are really strong motors but complicated when it comes to all the electronics that keeps the motor alive if something goes astray. Could I bolt on a GT30r turbo and bigger injectors with a water meth injection system and go for solid 300-375whp reliably on pump gas and who would be able to chip/tuned my ecu to handle it. Sorry for all the questions I'm just so confused nothing seems to mesh with what I've learned fron Jap cars.

Thanks,
-Austin
This is OG900 forum, We are old school here ;) (unless you're talking a 93 not a 94 900t - then you're in the right place, and no you can not achieve 375 hp easily lol) If you're talking about NG900 then read on -

First of all Saabs are nothing like jap cars.

The weakest parts of Saabs are gearboxes, if you want that much HP you're going to spend a lot of money anyway so getting a tough box isn't going to be a big deal. Still worth considering in the budget.

If you want that kind of power perhaps get another jap car lol, not that Saabs don't pump out, but some things in Jap cars are better.

If you want a NG900 you want one with T5.5 engine management, it is a ridiculously good management system. Try your questions in the NG 900 section then head over to ECU project and www.saablink.com to read up on T5.5 and ask questions.

People get huge power out of T5.5 but with significant mods,approx 300hp is probably not too much to ask for but you'd probably have to throw $1000 worth of gear at it
- 3" high flow cat exhaust $400
- CanUSB for live tuning T5.5 $150
- wideband O2 $200
- injectors $100-500 (stock would probably do close to 320 at a guess)
- an ECU or two $100

Probably throw another $2000+ for a gearbox to handle it, (unless you know how to rebuild one yourself) I don't think NG900 manual trannys are THAT great, a worn one is useless, a rebuilt one could probably do 350hp based on what I've read.

The advantage of Saab is as I said before the RIDICULOUSLY good engine management, you can fully adjust fuel, spark, and boost to suit your requirements, on top of these, T5.5 changes things like fuelling, spark and boost levels based on engine/fuel/ambient temp etc to prevent knock, no MBC's here, you can run low octane and not worry about breaking your engine, and then run high octane and enjoy more power (based on how aggressive you make your maps)

Some serious skills are required here or lots of $ to have someone do lots of dyno time for you. T5.5 suite is free ware made by a Saab guru, and allows you to do all this yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts