SaabCentral Forums banner
541 - 560 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I strongly considered the resale option, but even a new DIC is used once you have it... I certainly wouldn't trust someone selling "new Saab DIC" unless it had a manufacture date of yesterday. And I don't wanna be the guy gouging Saab owners. It's hard enough. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Well when they are no longer available as "new" then what other option is there? Grab some silica gel packs, shrink wrap and stuff them on a shelf in the back. :p

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Back to body work. Left front fender needs a patch. Still unable to locate a good replacement.

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Tread Road surface

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Well.. I guess I won't be doing welding right now. Someone forgot to close the tank valve last time. 3/4 full 80cuft cylinder now empty.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #548 ·
Man, you are a 3D printing machine! Those gauge panels are only like $10!
Someone makes a pop-in 3-gauge that fits the 9000 dash trim? I did not find one so I drew one up and printed it. No screws, just pops in and held in by the retaining ears. The cheap single-din ones I found from China are total crap. This one will actually hold the gauges with or without retaining bars. I covered mine in carbon-fiber look vinyl.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
This one has worked well for me -

I hate the stepped format on that one, but that's me opinion. Nothing else on the 9000 dash is stepped like that. The dash is positioned so you don't need it. shrug I can make my own stuff so I do. :)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Oh, totally, no dismay at rolling your own - there's tons to be said for DIY!

There are straight panels too - you often find them at VW shops. I like the angled one as it works very well in the c900, but I agree, it may be a detriment on a 9000.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Do you know of anyone has ever migrated the newer remote entry/alarm onto the old Cobra alarm setups? I'm working in the dash wiring again and got intrigued by davide c's thread on the alarm fob.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
I've not seen that. I'd be inclined to just go aftermarket rather than rely on anything that old.
I know! I just kinda like the old school key fobs. I've already looked up the information and the 16-pin connectors are still made by AMP if anyone is interested. I will probably end up making an adapter for it to work with a new aftermarket kit. Mine refuses to go into programming mode so it's going in the trash after I pull the connector off of it. The only annoying bit of the install is running the antenna.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
The past six or so alarms I've done have all been the second cheapest Viper system there is. It's like $50, covers all the basics. I do lament the new-looking remote but I never regret the 1/4" mile range. :) I can set the alarm from my office or my bedroom. The newish (last six years or so) Vipers have this integrated doodad that's programming, antenna, and LED. Probably also the shock sensor and everything else. :) The size is distracting, but it does simplify installation. On the SPG it's on the b-pillar where I never see it. I'm not sure where I'd put it on a 9000.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
I'm probably going to go as cheap as possible on a kit with di-pole antenna for the windshield console and PKE. The wiring will be done and I'll be able to swap it out later with something better if I really want to spend the $ on it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic instrument

Passive circuit component Green Circuit component Light Blue

SCC photoresistor needs replacing. The display is always super dim. Still trying to find one in the right ohms range. I may jumper it, not sure.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Gauge

Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel Car

Gauge wiring test. I think I may swap the black trim rings in. Silver too distracting. Water temp is ready. Have to get the oil pressure sender and install it, must have left that one in another project.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey I had one of those Yellow box Alarms. Decades ago it tho ...was a Saab labelled part (made in Canada IIRC) .. local electronics surplus had a large box of them.. some kind of production overrun, 'he' claimed.. Never got it to work well .. I finally binned it.
I was led to believe the antenna for the 9000 (mine) alarm is in the behind the rearview light /container

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
Hey I had one of those Yellow box Alarms. Decades ago it tho ...was a Saab labelled part (made in Canada IIRC) .. local electronics surplus had a large box of them.. some kind of production overrun, 'he' claimed.. Never got it to work well .. I finally binned it.
I was led to believe the antenna for the 9000 (mine) alarm is in the behind the rearview light /container
Yes, the remote entry system on 1995+ has a di-pole antenna in the head console. Mine has the older alarm-only setup. It does not support they keyfobs and has no antenna, just a programmable alarm setup.

541 - 560 of 582 Posts