SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is a big job but does someone have a link to instructions on how to do the timing and replace the tensioner. I searched the forum but came up empty. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that as well after sending the intial post. Although it is a good picture and gives me an idea, I am really looking for what's involved with replacing the tensioner. Tools, settings for timing, expected time to do the job, etc. Guess I will keep digging.:D

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
gthomp0805 said:
...I am really looking for what's involved with replacing the tensioner. Tools, settings for timing, expected time to do the job, etc. Guess I will keep digging.:D
The WIS has the procedure for working with the cam timing, the belt, tools, torque settings and so on. I am not sure if it has a section on just the tensioner specifically.

The 6-cylinder is a GM engine, so you really have many more places to go for information than the rest of us with the 4-cylinder!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
gthomp0805 said:
I found that as well after sending the intial post. Although it is a good picture and gives me an idea, I am really looking for what's involved with replacing the tensioner. Tools, settings for timing, expected time to do the job, etc. Guess I will keep digging.:D
If you want specifics as to how to do this procedure you can ask me directly as I've gone ahead and completed my timing belt change myself, WITHOUT the use of the special tools required, however, this is not a job for a novice or inexperienced home mechanic, this is a very advanced procedure to complete and requires alot of skill, eyes (to line up the cam markings correctly) and patience. I completed the job in about 6 hours, and I had to request the help of two other people to hold the cams in place with the rachets since I didn't use the special tools that are normally required to do this job.

The thing about this job is that if the cams arn't aligned properly and you close up the are to test it, you'll kill the engine, so you have to be precise and have good eyes to make sure everything is aligned and doesn't move when you slip the belt on and put tension on the belt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am seeing my mechanic tomorrow morning to discuss this. I am thinking that if I help him maybe I can save some money. I am a driveway mechanic and from the sound of things should not attempt this myself. I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
2000 9-3 DC craigslist, $2000.
Tempting, very tempting, but I'll keep the old '96 (I know what I have)....and the '96 cost me $2,500 3 years ago..
And, I think Mr Gthomp may know what he has as well:cheesy: , but, with a TRUE ace mechanic, this engine can be repaired...

Headaches:nono; - no fun - I know from experience - trying to do an "A" mechanics job when one is but a "B"(at best) - this causes headaches...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you are correct in that regard. It's just that I have exhausted alot of time and money in the last five months to diagnose the prob only to find out the dealer could have fixed this when they did the timing belt. That brings me to another thought. I would assume that the dealer properly set the timing when they replaced the belt. If they did then why does the car still run like it did before I brought it in. Leads me to believe that maybe it's not the timing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts