SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my car, but I need help. There seems to be a vacuum line leaking, but I can't find it or an electrical component failing. The cars starts and runs well until it is warm then it happens, THE STALL. It stalls when you have to brake for a stop sign or when you have to park. Once the motor is warm ANYTIME you hit the brakes the car stalls. Cant seem to find a vacuum diagram to see if i have replaced every line, only changed a few by the intake. Changed some parts over with other used parts but that didn't help. Does the cold start mode with the brake pedal have anything to do with this?

Pamala
I Love My Saab

·
Registered
281 Posts
does it stall without braking BUT letting off the throttle?

check all the intake and AIC plumbing to be secured and no cracks.....

you should have ABS so it would have no direct effect on the motor control, most likely the motor is unable to maintain or stabilize at or near idle after accelerating causing the stall.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There are very few vacuum lines in a 1992 9000 2.3l B234 Non-Turbo.

There is a small one that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold.

There is another small one that goes from the smaller nipple on the Crankcase Vent to the intake manifold. The larger line goes from the Crankcase vent to the Throttle Body

Then there is the larger one that goes from the EVAP canister to the intake manifold.

Then there are the two hoses that are on the AIC valve. One goes from the AIC to the intake manifold and the other goes from the AIC to the throttle body.

If you have checked all of these hoses and vacuum lines an they are good or have been replaced, the next two things to check are the AIC valve itself or the AMM (Air Mass Meter).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The motor doesn't stall when you let off the gas, only once you slow down to a stop. It won't idle when the motor is warm, but idles just fine when its cold, usually the first start of the day. I have checked all of the hoses that Jeff325 listed. I got another AIC valve from the salvage yard, changed it, but didn't change the idle. How do I check to see if the AIG valve and AMM are working correctly? Is my car going into Limp Mode?

·
Registered
630 Posts
No your '92 9000 can't go into Limp Home Mode as it is a Non-Turbo = NO TCS

Do you have a spare AMM or can get another known good one with the same part number to test?

Do you know how old the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator in the car are?

How about the spark plugs and DI cassette?

The last long shot would be the Crank Position Sensor - these can go bad and exhibit symptoms when warm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the fuel filter about 3,000 miles ago, but I haven't replaced the regulator yet. Replaced spark plugs about 10,000 miles ago and just put a used DI cassette in the other day. I should be able to find a used AMM at the salvage yard, to try out. If all this fails try the crank sensor? I tried a couple of things while driving this morning, if I let the car slow down all by itself and don't touch the brakes, the car doesn't stall. But if I'm coasting slowly about 25mph and hit the brakes it stalls. Is this a problem with the cruise module? Cruise doesn't work, for some unknown reason. :confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is this a problem with the cruise module? Cruise doesn't work, for some unknown reason. :confused:
Nope it would have nothing to do with the cruise control. Your '92 9000 has a vacuum controlled cruise control that is not connected to the engine.

I have a two pretty accurate guesses as to why your cruise control does not work it's either the brake/clutch pedal cut out switches are bad or not adjusted properly, or the cruise control ecu is dead - the 41 08 650 cruise control box found in '92-'94 9000's that do not have TCS are junk.

I have a modification to retrofit the older, more reliable 95 26 757 cruise control ecu to fix this problem for good. I have yet to pull a dead one of these out of a salvaged 9000. Nearly every single 41 08 650 ecu I find in salvaged 92-94 9000's is dead, or not 100% functional.

I forgot about another sensor that can cause stalling/idling problems if has gone bad.....the engine coolant temperature sensor. It is located on the intake manifold between cylinder's #2 and #3 (the middle of the engine block). Don't confuse this one with the Temp Gauge sender which is on the left end of the cylinder head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts