SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 92 900 turbo (145k miles) with auto trans wont engage reverse. If I go forward, it shifts smoothly into 2nd then may not shift into 3rd until 5000 rpm. Once I have gotten into 3rd then I can shift into reverse as often as necessary, the cars works fine until I shut it off and let it rest for a few hours, then I have the same reverse engagment problems. I have changed the tranny fluid and filter, it ran well for about 3000 miles and this problems returned. I changed fluid again and added "lucas-Oil" trans additive. Any suggestions for a cure???. [email protected]

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Adjust your 2-3 band.

Reverse may be your shifter cable adjustment (inside the car).

Adjust TV cable.

You'll have to pull the pan to adjust the 2-3 band, this will get some of the snake oil you put in it out. Top off with fresh Type F fluid. Do not add any more snake oil.

There are several threads on here detailing how to do this. A simple search should pull them up.

Cheers,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
transmission problems

Hello Matt:
Once the tranny gets warmed up and into 3rd gear; it shifts smoothly through all gears and also into reverse..
I don't believe it is a linkage problems since it smoothly goes into reverse after it has been warmed up and gone through all forward gears. I have wiggled the shift lever between neutral and park when cold and it won't engage reverse. ( I have seen the back-up lights go on when in the reverse location of PRND21), so I know linkage is "close" and not much "play" in the cable.
I have not found the band adjustment procedure. What link, or key words, do you recommend??
Thank you for any more suggestions...........ED

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
"Band Adjustment" should pull up what you need. Restrict it to the C900 forum.

Reverse light is a contact IIRC, you might be in the right position to light up the lights, but that won't help much if the cable is stretched. The right position in the selector for the light won't be the right position for the trans anymore, if it was, reverse would work.

I had a similar problem on my 88. When cold it would not engage reverse. Once warmed up though it worked fine. Let it set a couple hours, again no reverse until warmed up.

On my car it was simply the cable. I adjusted it and everything was fine again.

As for the 2-3 shift, it may not be the band in your case, it sound almost as if something is sticking. Usually with the 2-3 band it will hang, usually if you rev then back off then resume acceleration it will go ahead and shift into 3rd albeit somewhat roughly.

The band adjustment is not really a difficult adjustment however, and most cars need it by now. It can also prevent your car from slipping and wearing the band later on. And it may be your problem. It's hard for me to tell from my computer monitor. ;)

Last but not least is the TV (Throttle Valve) cable adjustment, this controls downshifts and operating pressure. You always want to take a gander at that and make sure it's in tweaked appropriately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts