SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.-about to tackle my next problem and again, this is my first Saab so maybe this is a fairly common problem: My steering shaft is moving around loose inside the collapsable column. When you hold the steering wheel it can move around alot. Though it steers just fine it seems the problem is at the base of the column where the turn signal,\ cruise switch mounting bracket is. Is there a bearing that goes to pot here? Thanks Todd

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah there is a bearing and some bushings inside and outside the bearing. I am trying to replace them on my car but my steering wheel is stuck on the shaft but good!

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is unique to the SRS equipped cars (U.S. 90-93 and 94 vert). Easy fix, just did this a week or so ago. You need to take care around the the SRS (Airbag) and the clockspring. Battery must disconnected for quite sometime to allow discharge before messing with the airbag. Other than a torx screwdriver/wrench (T20 I believe) to remove the airbag and clockspring, you'll need a 22 mm socket to remove the big steering wheel to column bolt.
Yes, there is a bearing there, but the bearing is probably still fine. Though, the inner plastic bushing probably is toast. They harden with age and disintegrate. I replaced mine using an adjustable crescent type wrench to help push the bushing into place, then reinstalled the other components.
The bushing you need is part number 8972374.
Look here http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8972374

Do a search on clockspring, airbag, etc to get particulars on how to handle the situation.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
This is unique to the SRS equipped cars (U.S. 90-93 and 94 vert). Easy fix, just did this a week or so ago. You need to take care around the the SRS (Airbag) and the clockspring. Battery must disconnected for quite sometime to allow discharge before messing with the airbag. Other than a torx screwdriver/wrench (T20 I believe) to remove the airbag and clockspring, you'll need a 22 mm socket to remove the big steering wheel to column bolt.
Yes, there is a bearing there, but the bearing is probably still fine. Though, the inner plastic bushing probably is toast. They harden with age and disintegrate. I replaced mine using an adjustable crescent type wrench to help push the bushing into place, then reinstalled the other components.
The bushing you need is part number 8972374.
Look here http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8972374

Do a search on clockspring, airbag, etc to get particulars on how to handle the situation.
How did you remove the wheel? I've always just yanked on the wheel without problems, in fact recently on my 86 900 S (no airbag) and my 99 9-3 (airbag) and it was simple. But on my 91 900 it doesn't want to come off this way and I pulled pretty hard.

·
Registered
416 Posts
How did you remove the wheel? I've always just yanked on the wheel without problems, in fact recently on my 86 900 S (no airbag) and my 99 9-3 (airbag) and it was simple. But on my 91 900 it doesn't want to come off this way and I pulled pretty hard.
Took the nut all the way off, then threaded it back on a little bit (as to save the nose!). Yanked really hard a number of times and it came loose. Maybe use just a touch of penetrating lube (PB Blaster or my personal favorite, Sili-Kroil) on the shaft splines might help.

I did the same at the junkyard to get a good clockspring, but it didn't come off by yanking on it. There I used a hammer to bang from behind the wheel. It took two or so good whacks on the the wheel "hoop" at the spoke to jar it loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts