SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 9000 Turbo. The tranny has less than 5000 miles on it, (car has 157,000), but it sat for 2.5 years. It ran like gangbusters after coming out of mothballs, but a couple of weeks ago I lost top gear. I might not have noticed it for a bit, because my driving has been in-town lately. But now, as soon as it shifts above "3", it's like the tranny loses all traction. If I shift into Neutral and coast for a bit and then pull it back doen into "D", the transmission "brakes" like normal, but I can't accelerate. It's like I'm in Neutral and the tack just redlines (if I let it).

Is there anything I can do for this, or am I totally screwed? I hope not--I just spent $700 on brakes!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zaphod Beeblebrox said:
My first port of call would be to do a fluid check and change.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, I topped up the ATF. I WAS low. This hasn't made any difference, however.

The car runs fantastically except for this. There are no anomalous noises or any indication that anything's wrong until it slides into "4th". Could this possibly be a cabling issue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night I E-mailed the Saab dealer with which my Dad has dealt for years (North Country Imports in Glens Falls, NY). Just now I got a call from a very nice gentleman who had talked to his Service Manager and suggested that I check the "Electronic Downshift Motor" on the subframe to make sure that the lever and cable are free.

I'm mechanically inclined and not bashful about doin so myself if I don't have to "tear anything down" in this weather (snowy and freezing!). Anyone have a picture of what he's talking about? I haven't been able to find one yet.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
prescor said:
Last night I E-mailed the Saab dealer with which my Dad has dealt for years (North Country Imports in Glens Falls, NY). Just now I got a call from a very nice gentleman who had talked to his Service Manager and suggested that I check the "Electronic Downshift Motor" on the subframe to make sure that the lever and cable are free.
You forgot to complain about how all Stealerships are a rip-off, and that you should never patronize or trust one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...or not.

:(

I've just now gotten 'round to tackling this. The car's been fine "around town" but I really would like to take it over-the-road once in awhile, and leaving it in 3 wound out to 4200 just to maintain 55 kinda sucks.

So I had the closest dealer order and install the cable I was talking about, since it was broken (the end fell off due to rust as I was attempting to install the clip I ordered).

The dealer's not exactly sure why, but I still don't have top gear. Replacing the cable was obviously the first thing to do, but I now suspect that this little motor thingy isn't doing what it's supposed to to.

Apart from removing the hood and strapping one of my kids to the top of the engine to watch it for me and tell me what it's doing, what's the best way to test this thing? Moreover, were I to shop for one what's it actually CALLED in Saab-ese? What's its part number? I suppose if I knew anyone else with a 1992 9000 and knew them well enough that they'd let me, I'd just swap this motor out and see if the problem followed my motor or stayed with my car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
please help! I have the EXACT same problem.. can you give me more info or just circle the "rotor ma bob" in the picture and either email it to [email protected] or post it here or something? I have to junk the car cause I can't afford to fix it but if this is the problem! well oh buddy! watch out lol. and the saftey is up at the end of the month then it goes to its grave.. so all help you can give me would be amazing! thanks in advance

Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, instead of my kid, I strapped a webcam under the hood with a flashlight and hooked it up to my laptop. The motor that actuates the cable I had the dealer replace DOES move, though I have no way of knowing what is "normal".

I called the transmission shop that put this transmission in 6 years ago, and the guy told me no one "fixes" these transmissions, they just swap 'em out and send the dead one back for "rebuilding". A rebuilt is more than the car's worth, and I'm looking to sell it now (got a deal on a '03 95!).

Is this guy right? I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere (northern NY). How hard should I look for someone who might actually FIX this transmission?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts