SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at one tomorrow, that a guy is asking $1500.00 for. He says the transmission is having some trouble in reverse. I forget if it is an auto or manual trans.

Any idea what I might be looking at to repair? Can the existing trans be rebulit and at what cost?

Can jsut the reverse problem be fixed?

·
4,637 Posts
And if it's an auto, a brake band adjustment may sort it. That said, if an auto trans is slipping and the owner has kept driving it, it may be toast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove the 92 900S convertible today

I think it needs a new head gasket, as there was some anti freeze around the bottom right side of the engine;

the ABS light is on,

the transmission is an automatic and it doesn't immediately go into gear around 35 to 40 mph, it winds out here and then does go in.

Power steering fluid has to be topped up frequently. Could just be a hose.

May need an alternator.

New convertible top, that has busted a bolt on the left side, so it needs help raising and lowering.

leather seats need restitiching.

Looks to be a 3 owner car. All books and records are with it. Last dealer service was at 57,000 miles (60,000 service)

129,900 on the clock now.

What do any of yall think? I won't pay $1500.00 for it.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
The Automagic sounds like it is turning into an Autotragic:cry:

I HATE:evil: :evil: :evil: the Autotragic.

You can try a front end band adjustment; however, that is just to carry her along as a temproary fix until you can sell it.

Swap in a 5-speed and the car will be transformed (for the better)

Headgaskets are not a nightmare, and fairly common to go. It is most likely the original and it just becoming grumpy. You hit 2/3 900 main sore spots:( That really sucks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just purchased a 91 900s Sedan automatic. I paid $1,500 ($100 below Blue Book). It has a four month old paint job. Brand new wonderful tires. Almost no rust. Three interior bulbs blown. A non-working power antenna I've already replaced. And is slips slightly changing from 2nd to 3rd (I understand that a band adjustment will fix that). I've seen no other problems with it after driving daily for a month.

That said, you absolutely should not pay what I paid for the car you just described :nono;. I'm not sure you should buy it at all. Check Blue Book and bargain down based upon the necessary repairs.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Wekesa said:
I just purchased a 91 900s Sedan automatic. I paid $1,500 ($100 below Blue Book). It has a four month old paint job. Brand new wonderful tires. Almost no rust. Three interior bulbs blown. A non-working power antenna I've already replaced. And is slips slightly changing from 2nd to 3rd (I understand that a band adjustment will fix that). I've seen no other problems with it after driving daily for a month.

That said, you absolutely should not pay what I paid for the car you just described :nono;. I'm not sure you should buy it at all. Check Blue Book and bargain down based upon the necessary repairs.
Convertibles on average are worth nore than double the same condition 900 in non convertible form.

A really nice SPG or Convertible is now going for crazy money. There is a HUGE difference in how it feels to drive a REALLY exceptional 900 and one that is in "good" condition.

(edit)

Get a late 80s turbo convertible. A ncie one is $3k with a decent service history. Spend $5k and you will find yourself driving it more than your 9-5.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK, I agree. I'm interested in getting a similar car in the future. So I just checked prices. In my area they range from $2,500 to $3,500 depending on condition (Fair to Excellent).

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Wekesa said:
OK, I agree. I'm interested in getting a similar car in the future. So I just checked prices. In my area they range from $2,500 to $3,500 depending on condition (Fair to Excellent).
Look at my convertible and decide for yourself the difference in what a bit more money brings. I think it is well worth it. I spent like 2 years looking on and off for what I really wanted....a T16 convertible with a Standard Gearbox.

Buy a vert in the fall/winter saves $$$ too. COnvertible 900 go on ebay in the spring for stupid money, in excess of $7,000.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Earlier this year I found my convertible...94,000 miles...absolutely perfect body and interior, including a perfect dash. The seller had been told the transmission was crap (automatic, wouldn't shift) and the engine needed a ring job. After fixing two vacuum leaks, replacing the crank pulley, and putting the crimp back in the crimp stop on the kick-down cable, life was good. Repairs were less than $100.00.

Oh, and I paid $300.00 for the car! *gloating* One of these days I'll post some pics of my finds. There are deals out there, but you have to look for them.

·
4,637 Posts
woywitka said:
You can try a front end band adjustment; however, that is just to carry her along as a temproary fix until you can sell it.
This is not a temporary fix. I did the band adjustment about 3 years ago on mine and it's still fine.

Wekesa said:
And is slips slightly changing from 2nd to 3rd (I understand that a band adjustment will fix that).
That said, if it's slipping at all, do the adjustment NOW! If you leave it wait, you'll kill the box because each slip at each gearchange wears the band even more. When it's properly adjusted, there is minimal slip and therefore minimal wear at each change and the gearbox will last.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
cdaly said:
This is not a temporary fix. I did the band adjustment about 3 years ago on mine and it's still fine.
Any Saab mechanic I ever spoke with agrees that if a front end band adjustment is called for the box is near the end of its life. Then when you rebuild the thing a year or so later they never last the same.

THe only true cure is the order of a brand new gearbox for the tune of some $4,500-$6,000.

The Automatic I had experience with lasted 3 months after a front end band adjustment before the thing started to slip again and bang into gears. Man I hated that thing. I have yet to drive a 900 Automatic that did not have 2nd- gear hesitation which drives me BONKERS! I also hate the BANG into 3rd:evil:

How many miles have you put on your Auto since the adjustment?

I think you are either VERY easy on the car or are very lucky.

My experience with the Automatic is rather limited, and I'm more biased than ever when it comes to it. That said, most anything I have ever heard towards that damm unit is terrible.

·
Registered
13,104 Posts
woywitka said:
THe only true cure is the order of a brand new gearbox for the tune of some $4,500-$6,000.
....or get one from Eriksson Industries in Connecticut (Google it). Every bit as good as a factory rebuilt but 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You can always rebuild the gearbox yourself ;) I think you can get a rebuild kit for a hundred bucks or something like that. Lots of little springs and balls in the gearbox so it is an advantage to know how an automatic gearbox actually works.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
900t said:
You can always rebuild the gearbox yourself ;) I think you can get a rebuild kit for a hundred bucks or something like that. Lots of little springs and balls in the gearbox so it is an advantage to know how an automatic gearbox actually works.
THey can't be rebuilt to work the same ever again in most cases, they are half magic. Have you ever seen how many gazillions of little tubes are in that thing!

General rule of thumb:

THe Automatic is easily turned into an Autotragic.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
Woy, how many autoboxes have you rebuilt? ;)
none. But I have seen plenty apart.;)

There are so many little tubes, springs, and bits it is incredible how people figure it all out.

Only 1 Saab garage in all of Vancouver can rebuild the 900 autobox, this says something. Most people go with a junkyard unit or order a factory rebuilt autobox.

My Saab mechanic hates rebulding them because they are an incredible amount of work vs. the 5-speed.

RB- Have you ever driven a 900 with an Autobox?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
Haha, nope, and I don't really plan on it :lol:
When they are in good shape, people swear by them as reliable and smooth.

With that said cruising at 70 means screaming at 4,000RPMS.

One they get old they are very clunky. THe 5-speed you have control over how you go about using worn out parts/gear ect.

Slamming your foot down on the autobox off the line does feel a heck of a lot better vs. in the 5speed.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
woywitka said:
none. But I have seen plenty apart.;)

There are so many little tubes, springs, and bits it is incredible how people figure it all out.

Only 1 Saab garage in all of Vancouver can rebuild the 900 autobox, this says something. Most people go with a junkyard unit or order a factory rebuilt autobox.

My Saab mechanic hates rebulding them because they are an incredible amount of work vs. the 5-speed.

RB- Have you ever driven a 900 with an Autobox?
It is not that bad... all the tubes are in one piece :p what you have is the valve body with a bunch of little balls and springs and things, it is like a maze for the tranny fluid, as you punch the gas the pressure of the fluid changes and it pushes the balls against the springs and this releases fluid to flow in other parts of the thing, shifting the gears and things like this. The transmission will work again afterwards as long as you haven't forgotten to put one of the springs so it is always stuck in Reverse even when you are in Drive :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts