SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive just put a deposit down on a nice 1991 9000I, its done 87k. This will be my second car and before this I owned a ford fiesta. This 9000 is £600 but im part exchanging the fiesta so its costing me half that :)
£600 is very cheap, but it is a 1991. If parts dont cost tooo much then I will be doing any repairs myself, hopefully wont be too many :)

Not sure what model it is, I think it said SE or something similar. Picking it up on tuesday :)

It has been sitting for a while but they started it first time with a battery booster. It needs a mot which the garage is sorting out for me. I only noticed one issue with it at the garage, one of the coolant hoses is leaking, should be easy to fix.

heres a pic of the engine bay, only one i took.

I notice there is a connector sitting on the rad, any ideas what it is? I hope its just the fan or something else that is easy to replace....

The rocker cover gasket also looks a little old... hope it doesnt leak but might replace it anyway.

There seems to be a lot of threads about retorqing the head bolts - why do you bother? is it that dificult to take the head off? (my old fiesta :))

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

You have a 2.3 l non-turbo, quick enough and should get 35 to the gallon on a run. Nothing's hard to do on a 9000; I'm up to my 7th or 8th and do almost all of the work myself.
Look out for the long hose that runs along the rhs of the engine, if this is the one that's leaking it will cost you a few quid to replace.
also, try to find a good SH red injection pack from a scrappy and keep it in the boot. These can give up at a moment's notice and you won't go anywhere without one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for replying. Im not going to get 35mpg, the fiesta struggled to get 26 :)

Where does the hose you mention go to? sounds possible as there was a small hose coming out of the head that was next to the big radiator hose, which might have been leaking instead.

If the DI packs up, is it a good idea or even possible to try using a distributor from one of the other 9000's that use them?

Also as you can prob see in the pic, the block is a red colour (though not much of the red paint is left), would this be standard or does it mean the engine been taken out before?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That connector by the fan? Plug that bad boy in. It is indeed for the fan so you should definitely get that plugged back in so your fan will work :D

Secondly, the DI casette is supposed to be red. Some are black, most are Red. The 9-5s use black and so do some old 9000s. I don't know exactly why they are like that. Anyway, I don't think your DI has been changed, but I am almost positive your engine is the same that came with the car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I just looked up the plate on rac's hpi check. There site is bugged so I havent done it yet... but it says its a 9000I SE. It also says 1992 (dealer told me 1991) but its a J plate (which is both).
Ive done a lot of reading on this forum and others, but havent found any mentions of a SE model? is it a good one? :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
From what i know, there was never a 9000 se, you have the 9000s 9000cs 9000cse 9000 aero, 9000 cd and 9000 cde, maybe you just have a very rare 9000 :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah, I am going to have to agree with the post above me. I didn't even know there was a 9000SE. You should put up some pictures of it for us to see. If you show us, we'll know, definitely. My guess is that it's a CSE. Is it a hatchback?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

The red and black DI cassettes are different specs. You'll need a spare red one. Much simpler to get a spare cassette than to try to convert to a dizzy as the wiring and the engine management will be different.

The SE is not uncommon in the UK, just a slightly lower spec than the CSE.

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
richardthebrit said:
Hi,

The red and black DI cassettes are different specs. You'll need a spare red one. Much simpler to get a spare cassette than to try to convert to a dizzy as the wiring and the engine management will be different.

The SE is not uncommon in the UK, just a slightly lower spec than the CSE.

Cheers
Thanks, what worried me is that a google search for an se will show the advert for my car, the exact one im buying :/

Do you know what the spec is? seems to have everything - alloys, aircon, heated seats, drivers seat electric adjustable, black leather interior/walnut dash, electric sun roof...

It is a hatchback and I will a lot of pictures tomorrow :)

Also, I noticed on the rev counter that the redline starts at 5.5k?... so just wondering what is the normal driving range... and where the hard/soft? limiter sits.
In the fiesta I would never change up later than 5k usualy 4.5k.. this is prob all in the owners book that Ill recive tomorrow :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
From memory, the SE has air con instead of climate control and the sound system isn't quite as good. Have a root around the site as I remember seeing a comprehensive write up on 9000s somewhere.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
richardthebrit said:
From memory, the SE has air con instead of climate control and the sound system isn't quite as good. Have a root around the site as I remember seeing a comprehensive write up on 9000s somewhere.

Happy hunting
Thanks, I know it has an air con compressor but I didnt find the controls for it on the dash... so you might be right. I only sat in it for a little while.

Also, its missing the radio... I was going to buy a cheap one but is there any advantage of having the standard one? (is it CD or tape?).

At work we have quite a huge carpark, maybe over 1000 cars... but I have never seen a Saab in there. Today I had a quick look and found a 9000 CDE but Im sure its the only one. Looked up the plate and its a 2l, but I hope its not a turbo :/ I didnt see any turbo badge either.. but it is 2 years newer.

edit: Also I will probably service it soon, it will need it as it hasnt been driven for a long time. What should I do/check, apart from the obvious (oil + oil/fuel/air filters + plugs + brake and other fluids. Shoud I replace the drive belt/tensioner?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Think mine might be a carlsson (sp?), it says SE on the back, but manual said that is the SE. I think, the SE was the first one, and then they bought out the CSE after, which is about the same (but slightly updated spec with climate control instead of just air con).

The bodywork is perfect... its 16 years old.. BUT there are no stone chips. The only bad part is a small dent in the rear arch, that has started to rust.
Interior is just as good, the leather seats are perfect, almost look new.. but not sure if the heater in them still works.
Alloys are also good, dont think i noticed kerbing on them.. but one of the hubcaps is missing since I went to loot at it on saturday...

Will get better pics tomorrow when the sun is up :)

might have made a mistake though... service history is from a different car.

The gearbox... does it have a dipstick or any other type of hole on the front? Mine has been taped up, and looks very dodgy. The dealer gave me a reson that I dont belive, but rest of the car looks good enough for me to risk it... :/

going to visit the local saab dealer and a mechanic to see what they say... at worst.. does anyone have a gearbox for sale? :)
it drives good though, no problems selecting gear or sounds from it.

Also, two bigger problems (for now):
Filling up with fuel is really slow.. like 30seconds per liter... about 10x slower than it should be. If I pull the trigger more, the pump will cut out... so I assume there is some kind of valve in the filler neck?

Interior fan/air con... fan doesnt work on 1-3, but 4 works. Guessing it is the switch is it easy to repair?

Also, I seem to have the cruise control buttons on the indicator stalk, except on the TB, the butterfly is driven by a cable rather than a motorised thing which I assume was required for CC?

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's not a Carlsson, as it doesn't have the proper lower bodywork. However, the wheels and wood dash (wood not standard until 1995) tend to make me think it's a Griffin. Although I thought the Griffin was only for CD models and not the hatchback, I could be wrong. Perhaps the SE, a designation that few outside of Europe are familiar with, just came with the Griffin wheels and dash... ???

In any case, it's a nice looking car, congratulations! If it's a manual transmission then no, it doesn't have a dipstick. It will have a refill/check plug, though I am not sure of the exact location. If it's an automatic, I believe it should have a dipstick.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sorry, I missed a few of your other questions. As to the cruise control, the cars with a throttle cable actuate cruise control with vacuum. It's actually good that you have a throttle cable - means your don't have TCS (traction control system), which can save you lots of money and grief compared to a failing TCS system.

So you have manual climate control? Few have much experience with that system, as the overwhelming majority of 9000s came equipped with the automatic climate control. Your problem could be the switch, but it could also be another component. I myself am not familiar with the manual system, hopefully someone else is. I expect it's probably cheaper to fix than the automatic system, unless it's the motor, which would be the same.

As to your fuel issue, that's very odd. Have you tried other stations? If so, it does this with every pump you have tried? I have not once had this problem in my two 9000s, nor have I heard about it on other 9000s, though I have seen it on other vehicles. I always thought it was some freak incompatibility with a particular filler neck shape and fuel nozzle shape, or just a super sensitive auto-shutoff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to the local Saab dealer today. One of the mechanics had a look, said that the drain/refil plug would be at the back/underneath the gearbox so this is something else. Also the SE model (or early models) did have a dipstick for the manual tranimission.

The dodgy gearbox :/ clicky for bigger
***note the yellowy dust covering it, sawdust? to quieten it down maybe?***
I assume the tape is covering/sealing the dipstick hole. ONe day soon I will take it off and have a look. I will also drain and refill the gearbox oil and that should tell me if its bad or not...

My brother was very happy to point out that the paint work has a few imperfections this morning. Nothing noicicable, and still a lot better than my fiesta.

I tested out the cruise control and it works perfectly, really nice to have it for motorway journeys.

Also Saab still make/sell hubcaps. £15.. Going to order one.

Managed to get 25 liters of petrol in it... spent 7 minutes at the pump to only achive 3 liters.. but then it magically started to fill up and I got 20 liters in 30 seconds.

Heres a few more pictures...

Inside:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts