SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 1991 saab 900 non turbo 16 valve. Would the axles from a 1989 saab 16 valve non turbo fit my 91? My 1989 was manufactured August 1989, so is this car really a 1989 or a 1990? I was told that if a car was manufacured on certain months within a year, the car could have been technically concidered a 1 year later model than the sticker date on the drivers door. My question is: Which month does this "next year technicality" become valid in referance to manufacturer door stickers? I know that the "inner drivers" are compatible, but the "drive axles" are iffy....

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
it's basically model year generally as from the VIN digit

What is important in your case is ABS or not ABS, there is a ring on the axle. You can heat the ring and remove it from a '91 axle and put it on an '89 axle and use that, in fact I did exactly that on my convertible last year. It is too much work if you can get a '90+ for the same price however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what ring?

it's basically model year generally as from the VIN digit

What is important in your case is ABS or not ABS, there is a ring on the axle. You can heat the ring and remove it from a '91 axle and put it on an '89 axle and use that, in fact I did exactly that on my convertible last year. It is too much work if you can get a '90+ for the same price however.
what ring exactly do i heat up?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
There is a ring on the wheel end for the ABS sensor. If you look at both axles you'll see one has it and the other not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts