SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
So I had this issue where I got a battery drain overnight in conjunction with a check engine light and my mechanic discovered it was what he calls in Swedish "electro-magnet till kolfilter" that translates to English as " electromagnetic sensor to the carbon filter". He basically disconnect a 3 pin lead in fender compartment in the left side of the engine if you're sitting in the car. I can't find this part location in any manuals and I've never heard of it and the Swede can't explain to me in English the correct name of the part - can you guys help ? Thanks

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I don't think that's a thing... does your car have AC? Can you post a picture of the thing or it's location?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that's what I thought - I only have a picture of the cable he disconnected which is a three pin male to female socket in the hollow area of the left wing (further down from the fuse box area) ... I guess I can go back to the mechanic and get him to explain better

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the above image you can see the connector that's disconnected that stopped the battery discharging overnight

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I'd guess they're all wired for it by the 16v engine.

Are you sure it wasn't the blue 2-pin connector he disconnected? I don't remember it being blue, but that's probably for the evap purge valve. I could see that being described as "electromagnetic sensor for the carbon filter" as the evap purge valve controls flow from the charcoal canister. Not really great to drive around like that, as either you're gonna pressurize the fuel tank (best case, hard to add gas, worst case blow out seals or grommets) or be venting fuel vapors to the world.

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
The ELCD (Evaporative Loss Control Device) is mounted on the charcoal canister and only opens when LH 2.4 decides the engine is not idling and is running smoothly. It opens intermittently when signaled.
Normally, it only gets noticed when it triggers a Check Engine light.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes i had a check engine light and a discharge of the battery happening overnight - plus Engine idling issue. The mechanic disconnected what he said was the Evap purge valve and the discharge stopped ... he said to replace the valve as it's probably faulty

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
It's a purge valve. It's electronically activated as part of the LH 2.4 so it needs its own FLA (four letter acronym) which is ELCD.
I've never heard of one that stayed live and drained a battery. It can trigger a light electronically or by failing in an open position (ruining idle).
They very rarely fail, grab a used one somewhere.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Yeah - a stuck open valve can definitely cause rough running, especially at idle, but I don't see how one could drain the battery. IIRC it's powered by +30 (battery power) and the ECM provides ground to open it. Maybe the trigger wire is broken somewhere and shorted to ground? I've never heard of that, but anything can break I suppose. Easy to test with a multimeter though.... if there's 12v at the plug with the key off.....

The canister is a black round, um, canister right there in the fender. There's a hose from the tank going into it, and a hose to the intake manifold going out of it. The purge valve is in the middle of the hose to the manifold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts