SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Saabs and a new owner of a 1990 Turbo. I am in MA and finding one rust free was my goal and ended up finding this car in Vermont. It was owned by a Saab enthusiast and originally came from Arizona being stored during the Vermont Winters. The car came with all of its original owner's manuals, a complete tool kit, original spare and the hard plastic tonneau cover.

First things I did was:
  • New Water pump
  • Flushed the cooling system and replaced with Zerex G05 coolant
  • New heater control valve
  • New alternator
  • New plugs, cap and rotor. The leads were fairly new and tested fine
  • All new belts
  • Oil and filter change
  • New air filter
  • New battery
  • New wiper stalk. The washer function wasn't working
  • Rebuilt/calibrated APC from Swedish Designs
The car is/was white with red interior. That has since been changed. I gutted the interior and changed everything over to a black interior. I dyed tan carpets I sourced from my local pick and pull black and used a leather dye on the leather portion of the door panels and SEM ColorCoat on the other pieces like the under dash. I made custom door card inserts and rear speaker covers and added fold down cup holders out of a Mercedes W124 wagon. By far the best cup holders you can find, IMHO. I recovered the non powered seat in new black leather from Lseat.com and ordered Coco Mats to protect the newly dyed carpet. The car came with a red hard plastic tonneau cover and I recolored this black as well to match the overall black scheme. Swapped in a crack free dash and perfect facia. Refurbished wheels and new tires.

Still to do:
  • Fix in-op power antenna. I hear it trying to go up and down, so maybe just a new past
  • Still need to recover the back seats in the new leather
  • Buy and have installed a new top and headliner
  • Investigate a few leaks here and there
  • Rebuild AC system with rebuilt compressor, new hoses and all new O-rings.
  • Swap in a better driver's seat belt that actually retracts
The car is an automatic and most would prefer the manual, but I was actually looking for an auto. The recalibrated APC made a big difference in power and the car will scoot down the road at 80 to 90 MPH easily with a top speed in my ownership North of those numbers.

I was warned of and read about scuttle shake in these cars and its not bad in my opinion, on par with an E30 BMW vert I have owned and much better than my 1969 Triumph TR6.

IMG_4616.jpg
IMG_4747.jpg
IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4745.jpg
IMG_4744.jpg
IMG_4746.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg
IMG_4753.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original maroon interior wasn't in great condition coming from Arizona, but I bought a $500.00 parts donor 1990 turbo convertible locally that had a near perfect dash and a perfect facia. It also had the "higher end" padded door panels. The door panels were dyed from grey to black, nice dash and perfect facia swapped in and the new leather upholstery really makes a difference. I know black isn't a factory color, but I think it blends nicely with the white exterior and black top.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks great! How do you like the lseat covers? I just swapped some better seats into my convertible but did get a sample swatch in the mail from them and looking at how great yours look I my have to bite the bullet and order some. Not sure if anything they had would match my grey leather perfectly....but if I changed front and back it would probably still look good. Black looks great with that white! How hard were they to install? I know I've seen some diy guides out there, lots of clips and some patience as I recall- any problems with fitment?

I'm working on changing my top now also by the way....lots of staples - have the old one off and the new one should be here midweek - I went with the cheaper haartz one but seems to be well liked by most vs the German fabric.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used Lseat on a Volvo 240, BMW E30, Mercedes W123 300CD and now my Saab. I have been happy with them, but communication with the company will test your patience. The grain of the leather is very pronounced and not smooth like the original Saab leather, but if you are recovering the front and rear the difference won't be noticeable. I have their swatch and when compared to grey seats out of a 1990 900 I would be very happy with S002 Dim Grey. It seems to be a very close match. The install was very easy. Saab designed a very simple to recover seat.

IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_4758.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New OEM Saab coolant overflow reservoir. Now I can actually see the coolant level in the tank.

IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4841.jpg

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Coolant tank is in stock in Nyköping. I personally ordered 2 tanks in last month.

BTW, MSGGrunt you have overfilled tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that out when the excess coolant leaked out by the front tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts