SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will preface with the fact that someone installed a universal muffler incorrectly and it has been banging around for a few months and I knew I needed to do something about it but never did so the other day I hit a bump and the joint where the header connects to the cat just dropped to the ground. Heard the clunk and limped into a parking lot. So I am now looking at exhaust options most of the local places want about $260 to fix it and my wife is not thrilled with that since we only paid $600 for the car and we are trying to buy a house so money is tight.

So my question is this...

I am looking at getting something used off another 900 or 900s I would need everything from the engine down (headers, straight pipe, muffler etc...) So what is compatible? I want a fairly easy and cheap bolt on solution if I can find one.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Why bother with that crap, go to eeuroparts and buy the turbo exhaust complete after the catalyst for like $140 and free shipping

Working with old exhaust parts is a major PITA and pretty useless unless the exhaust is almost new on the junk car

That said what appears to have broken on yours is the catalyst part, the bolts get weak. Maybe you can finagle something there or find another used cat with better flange

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I have found a good deal on CATS. autopartsway.com in the US or autopartsway.ca for Canadians has CATS very discounted as long as you don't live in California.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would if that was the case....

From Europarts

Header pipe - $83.90
Cat - $159.90
Exhaust system kit - 169.90

That comes out to $413.70

Though I could loose the CAT in theory and it would be $253.80

Which is exactly what they would charge at the shop to do it. My main point is that I am trying to not spend a lot on a car that I don't think will be around in a year.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I would if that was the case....

From Europarts

Header pipe - $83.90
Cat - $159.90
Exhaust system kit - 169.90

That comes out to $413.70

Though I could loose the CAT in theory and it would be $253.80

Which is exactly what they would charge at the shop to do it. My main point is that I am trying to not spend a lot on a car that I don't think will be around in a year.
No actually it is everything else you can lose but the cat :lol: Have you looked at what you have? Probably you can jury-rig something to hold the cat up against the downpipe and be on the road again. Just make sure to re-attach the hangers on the exhaust that weren't done before and made the system break before.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
get the downpipe welded to the cat pipe if fllange damaged, as if you don't think car will last does it matter

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got in touch with someone at a local shop that is going to help me just weld it and rehang it for cheap so we will see how that goes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts