SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Saab 900 turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ?
Brand new to the forum as I just bought my very first Saab ever this morning. It’s a 1989 900 turbo spg hatchback 5speed two door. First order of business on this car is getting it to go into fist and second gear. 3rd 4th 5th and revers all engage, no problem. No grinding or anything the shift lever will go to the left but not up into first or down into second. Any insight to this problem? and there is a part two around this. I thought it may be something going on inside the shift mechanism inside the car (haven’t gotten under it yet) so I took out the shift lever off and the bushings underneath came out in pieces just crumbled. Does anyone know where I can find these bushings? I've attached a photo and they are figures 20A and 20B. I found what I believe is 20B on eEuroparts can’t find the other one. could these bushings be the answer to my problem?
Thank you for any words of wisdom ❤

·
Registered
1989 Saab 900 turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should mention I’m a lady that doesn’t know a whole lot yet so laymens terms would be appreciated ?

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
Most often it's coupler 42a.
42a is a spring, not a coupler.

The OP is on the right track, but the bushing does not look like it’s available anymore. From thesaabsite.com:
“Another problem that can cause difficulty in locating the gears is bushing failures in the shifter box. There is a nylon bushing and a rubber bushing both of which are located in the front section of the shift box on the 5 speed cars. Unfortunately both of these parts can only be purchased directly from Saab. 8375156 is the rubber bushing & 8373078 is the nylon bushing.”

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
Dang! Poor eyesight...
Rubber coupler 67? is a common failure, usually oil-soaked.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I think the exploded parts diagram is incorrect to the OP's Model .
That looks to me like a self centreing mechanism for the Shifters found in the Earlier 900's Pre 86 or whatever year it was . An 89 would have the self centreing inside the gearbox,
TO the OP I would be first looking at the condition of the rubber coupler (part 67 ) and then doing a shifter alignment .
please read post 6 from rally 900 in the discussion below , it explains the Process of a shifter alignment , and saves me describing .... BY confirming it is correct I think is a sound starting point for you . Congrats on getting a 900 and good on you for digging into it !
I dont dispute that 20 a or 20 b could not have an impact , but I am just not convinced they would have that much impact .

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
If they aren't there they will definitely compromise getting into 1/4/5... without them the rod will tend to just move left and right rather than rotate.

If the housing is torn down that far, i would see if you can properly engage gears by rotating the rod by hand and then pushing forward and pulling backwards... forward being 2/4/R and and backwards being 1/3/5.

·
Registered
1989 Saab 900 turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the exploded parts diagram is incorrect to the OP's Model .
That looks to me like a self centreing mechanism for the Shifters found in the Earlier 900's Pre 86 or whatever year it was . An 89 would have the self centreing inside the gearbox,
TO the OP I would be first looking at the condition of the rubber coupler (part 67 ) and then doing a shifter alignment .
please read post 6 from rally 900 in the discussion below , it explains the Process of a shifter alignment , and saves me describing .... BY confirming it is correct I think is a sound starting point for you . Congrats on getting a 900 and good on you for digging into it !
I dont dispute that 20 a or 20 b could not have an impact , but I am just not convinced they would have that much impact .
Your right! The diagram is different from what I have going on. There is no part of 42 in my car rather it relys on 20a and b to hold the shaft straight in the housing. I tracked down 20a/b and ordered them hopefully that helps but still having trouble finding where to get 67. I plan on just replacing all of them To cut out the possibility or either being the problem. I pulled back the boot (62) and can just barely see 67 and it doesn’t look good. I’ll refer to the other posting to change it out, thank you ?

·
Registered
1989 Saab 900 turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they aren't there they will definitely compromise getting into 1/4/5... without them the rod will tend to just move left and right rather than rotate.

If the housing is torn down that far, i would see if you can properly engage gears by rotating the rod by hand and then pushing forward and pulling backwards... forward being 2/4/R and and backwards being 1/3/5.
I did as you recommended and that’s exactly what happened I can see how it rotates one way when going into 5th/R so I rotated it by hand and successfully got it into 1st/2nd! Thanks all for your advice!

·
Registered
1989 Saab 900 turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed! When I was looking for the car, “needs new transmission” was a common theme in almost all the candidates! Luckily the guy that had this car before me had the transmission rebuilt a couple years back.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Agreed! When I was looking for the car, “needs new transmission” was a common theme in almost all the candidates! Luckily the guy that had this car before me had the transmission rebuilt a couple years back.
It sounds a very good result if JVANS test showed you can manually engage 1/2 , it does suggest the box internals are ok and you just need to sort the shift mechanism . Great result, If searching for a 67 fails , you can swap to a later version of the coupler , often referred to as a dog bone style . I always thought the 67 more robust .
The newer style may be just as hard to source , the link below will give you a visual .
transmission/transmission-control/joint-gear-linkage/1053812/

·
Registered
1989 Saab 900 turbo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds a very good result if JVANS test showed you can manually engage 1/2 , it does suggest the box internals are ok and you just need to sort the shift mechanism . Great result, If searching for a 67 fails , you can swap to a later version of the coupler , often referred to as a dog bone style . I always thought the 67 more robust .
The newer style may be just as hard to source , the link below will give you a visual .
transmission/transmission-control/joint-gear-linkage/1053812/
That could be a really great option I had no idea you could use another style. Now on to the hunt! A friend of a friend works for a company that makes custom bushings so if I can’t find either I may have to hit them up and see if I can pull off what I have and have them replicate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts