SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Tis a sad day, but it's time for this Saab to give the last of itself to help keep other classic 900s on the road.

1989 Saab 900 Turbo, 5 speed manual, Rose Quartz exterior, reddish interior, ~170K miles. This is the rare but non-SPG coupe model. The good:

1. Complete service/repair records. I am the second owner for all intents and purposes. This car was given to me by the first owner in 9/2006 and she also supplied me with her complete service records. All service records are in a spreadsheet that I can make available to you via email or Google Docs. If you don't want to buy this car, it will not be for lack of knowing its history. All work prior to 2006 was done at Reinertsen Motors. Almost all maintenance/repair work during my ownership was done by me.
2. Strong engine - Oil changed religiously. Turbo pulls strongly. This engine burns less than a quart between oil changes at 5000 mile interval.
3. Strong transmission - A rebuilt transmission was installed in June 2009 when the car had roughly 153,000 miles. This work was done by a former Saab dealer mechanic. In April, 2010, I performed the "Townshend" reverse gear fix to increase the engagement of reverse gear. I did this to prevent future trouble not because it had started popping out of reverse. This car has never popped out of reverse gear since the rebuilt transmission was installed though I admit that I have been very gentle on it when backing up. The one modification I made at this same time was to the shift gear linkage so that the transmission does not need to be put into reverse in order to remove the key.

The bad:
1. Those of you on the East Coast will remember the freak October 30 snowstorm we had in 2011. During that snowstorm a large tree limb fell from around 50' up and smashed the rear deck and C pillars of the car. This damage could be repaired, and believe me, I thought very hard about it, but I have too many other projects.
2. The car also has some typical Saab electrical gremlins.
3. Power steering rack leak - this leak has gotten quite bad so that now it won't hold fluid for very long at all.
4. Right front wheel bearing making noise. The left one was already done, but this one is making quite a bit of noise now.
5. Needs a front end alignment by someone who has the shims and knows how to use them.

The car is driveable (last I checked). I drove it 100 miles the day before the snowstorm. Since then, it has been sitting in my garage on a battery tender. The rear deck lid is still in place but the rear deck glass was all shattered.

I also have a spare engine and transmission that I would throw in for not much more money. I mostly want to see this car go to a Saab fanatic who will wring every last bit of value out of it. The more you can prove to me you're a classic 900 fanatic, the cheaper the price will be. I'd also like to give back to this forum which provided me with so much valuable information over the time I owned this car.

Many pictures/notes/records available upon request - probably more than you want. The car is in Central New Jersey near Morristown. It is not insured at present but does have plates and a valid registration. I would not object to a short test drive around the block.

I have not posted this ad elsewhere. If no one wants it from this forum, I will put it up on craigslist in a couple of weeks. My name is Hal Purdy. Since I just joined the forum (did it used to cost money?) you can PM me or send me email at k h p u r d y @ g m a i l . c o m

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Youtube video

Here's an extremely amateurish video of a walkaround of the car I did last weekend. Not great, but it does show the rear deck damage. The car is running during the video, but I realize (now) the engine purring didn't come through very well on the video.

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/-EisZSyy5Lc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
video

I have taken a walkaround video of the car. It's on youtube as an unlisted video which means you need the link. I posted a reply with the link yesterday, but it hasn't appeared perhaps because posts with URLs need moderator approval?

So, here's the URL that you'll need to use, hopefully in a form that doesn't get delayed:

1. Start with the http part.
2. Add "youtu<dot>be" then a forward slash.
3. Then put in "-EisZSyy5Lc"

I promise, it's not spam! It's just a badly made video of this 1989 Saab that I'd like to sell to a good home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts