SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a saab 900 1989 t16 convertible
i was wondering if anyone knows why my hood wont go down.
all i can hear is clicking which i think is coming from the resistors.
thanks
greg

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Do you have the handbrake on?

Have you checked the fuses?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt88S said:
Do you have the handbrake on?

Have you checked the fuses?
i have done it with the handbrake on no difference, where is the fuse for it?
i have seen the one under the bonnet but cant tell if its blown or not as its really different??

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Can you hear the motor buzzing at all?:suprised;

Not to be selfish, but can we see some pictures of this car at some point? hehe:D

Welcome to SaabCentral.:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
woywitka said:
Can you hear the motor buzzing at all?:suprised;

Not to be selfish, but can we see some pictures of this car at some point? hehe:D

Welcome to SaabCentral.:cool:
nope only clicking coming from the resistors? could it be the motor then? i have located the pump the other day which is under the rear seat??

yeah sure i was given it 3 weeks ago by a friend he didnt want it anymore can you believe it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the paint was faded and moldy.

after a t-cut and some paint restorer its come up NEW!
just the hood to be cleaned now.

will add some pics off what it was like. dunno who though?

hehe

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
gregars123 said:
nope only clicking coming from the resistors? could it be the motor then? i have located the pump the other day which is under the rear seat??

yeah sure i was given it 3 weeks ago by a friend he didnt want it anymore can you believe it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the paint was faded and moldy.

after a t-cut and some paint restorer its come up NEW!
just the hood to be cleaned now.

will add some pics off what it was like. dunno who though?

hehe
Soudns great. Unlike many cars of this time, Saab used great quality paint. It shines up so well, I have seen white paint turn back to showroom red!

You can try checking the fuses as suggested. The motor should make some noise even if the top is "broken". I bet this is the trouble.

You think the paint came up well? Take out the carpets and give them a good wash with laundry soap and they often turn out as good as new:D

Leather can be restiched is seams are split. A real good clean and condition, the seats can feel nice again. The leather is of exceptional quality.

The Classic 900 Convertible is awsome and gets lots of looks and compliments:D . I love mine!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woywitka said:
Soudns great. Unlike many cars of this time, Saab used great quality paint. It shines up so well, I have seen white paint turn back to showroom red!

You can try checking the fuses as suggested. The motor should make some noise even if the top is "broken". I bet this is the trouble.

You think the paint came up well? Take out the carpets and give them a good wash with laundry soap and they often turn out as good as new:D

Leather can be restiched is seams are split. A real good clean and condition, the seats can feel nice again. The leather is of exceptional quality.

The Classic 900 Convertible is awsome and gets lots of looks and compliments:D . I love mine!

Okey dokey mate....do you know where the motor is???
I Will also check the fuses maybe tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.
And am planning to get it on the road some when in march ready for the summer!!! :D

·
4,637 Posts
The clicking is probably the relays. It should click both for up and for down, different relays. The motor fuse is under the bonnet, up above the battery on the right hand side. It's an inline 'bullet' fuse and should be obvious if it's blown. There's a plastic body with a metal cap on each end and the fuse wire on the surface between the metal caps. If the relays are clicking, then it's either the fuse or the motor.

Gorgeous cars, do yourself a favour and get a wind deflector. That way you can happily have the top down from March to November. You only need the top up if it's raining heavily...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cdaly said:
The clicking is probably the relays. It should click both for up and for down, different relays. The motor fuse is under the bonnet, up above the battery on the right hand side. It's an inline 'bullet' fuse and should be obvious if it's blown. There's a plastic body with a metal cap on each end and the fuse wire on the surface between the metal caps. If the relays are clicking, then it's either the fuse or the motor.

Gorgeous cars, do yourself a favour and get a wind deflector. That way you can happily have the top down from March to November. You only need the top up if it's raining heavily...
hi, thanks very much i will check the fuse again....
do you know how much the motor would cost if it was that roughly.
yeah the relays are both clicking both ways.
cheers.
greg.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The motor's expensive new. Try to get one from eBay. But try to open it up if you want to try to repair it. Chances are that the carbon brushes are worn out, or the bimetallic switch meant to detect overheating is buggered....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts