SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a couple months ago, I went to reverse out of the driveway, same as any other day. Then I put my foot on the clutch, tried to shift into first gear to drive off to work but, unlike any other day, my '89 C900 Turbo refused to change outta reverse gear.

Found out that there was a clutch fluid problem - years ago the fluid reservoir was changed and the hoses reconnected but the little 'nipple' not pierced so no clutch fluid getting anywhere it should. That's now fixed, flushed and refilled, working fine once again (yeah I know, can you believe it!?)

Also, when I bought the car back in 2009, the clutch pedal had to be re-welded where it had become disconnected. When this problem happened a few months back, it seems it needed another re-weld. This fixed, all well and good, and I drove happily on my way...until this afternoon after work when, attempting to leave the staff carpark, my 900 got stuck in reverse gear again. Put my foot down, and there is so little resistance - the pedal is almost 'floppy' but there seems not problem with the welding.

Pumped clutch a couple times, no change to lack of resistance. Tried to manoeuvre the gear stick into neutral (foot on pedal, as you do), but the gear stick is stuck, hence not being able to change out of reverse gear.

Had to keep reversing out and into another carpark behind me, before stopping the car and parking. The key slips in and out of the ignition fine, turns as it should and the car ticks over. But, as I said, it seems to be the gear stick problem, being stuck, probably because of the clutch = a clutch problem?

I've noticed others online have had similar problems, yet their ignition seems stuck in reverse lockout, as well as the gear stick itself. Any thoughts? What can I do? Or replace?

At almost 236k, the engine still runs beautifully. Cosmetically a bit dull here and tthere.But I don't want to sell it - it's my daily drive. And it's because of this little SAAB that I actually look forward to my daily commutes to and from work, especially since most of it is highway driving. Ifn the far outside lane too...you know, that special Swedish licence we all have, hah!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, turns out there's a leak in the clutch fluid. Topped it up and back on the road.

But now to find out where the leak is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaking into the clutch housing due to leaking slave. Look for puddles at the front.
Yep, you guessed it. Damn! This is more a priority now than replacing the heater valve. At least the problem is diagnosed. Not an easy job for sure.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
If you're paying someone to do this work, replace the clutch at the same time. It's the exact same amount of work, no sense paying for labor twice. Fortunately it's pretty easy - 2-3 hours at most.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts