SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, picked up an '87 900S 16V 2 door sedan(notchback?) a couple months back. Pretty rare I think! Anyways, it was driving and shifting fine until about 2 weeks ago I started to hear the throwout bearing squeal. It had always had a pretty soft clutch but when the throwout bearing started to squeal the clutch seemed to get almost a grainy friction feeling(only occasionally). Then yesterday I downshifted into 2nd and heard a quick bang and the clutch went lifeless but does spring back out. Clutch now has no pressure but tranny seems good as it took off in 1st gear when starting in 1st. After typing this it seems quite obvious I need to replace the clutch BUT there was also no fluid in the reservoir.... Wondering why the fluid would dump and if I might need anything additional such as master or slave cylinder.. I cannot see where the fluid dumped as it must have dumped on the road and did not leave any drip marks in my parking spot.. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

I should also mention I just removed the master cylinder just for ****s and it appears to be fine. But I filled the reservoir and was then pushing the clutch in prior to removal and air bubbles were coming into the reservoir if that means anything.. It was not leaking from either end and there were no signs of leakage inside the car.. Anyone care to explain how I crack this thing open to look at the inside? haha

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
+1 above......as correctly described by Jim.
I would highlight the need to replace the flexible hose/pressure line as well in that scope of works.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You pumped the slave apart and lost the fluid.
Replace the whole mess, master included.
Hi Jim, thanks for the info. Can you elaborate a bit for me? How does a slave get pumped apart and does this mean the slave is without question ruined? If so can I just replace seals?

Biggest issue I'm having here is time for parts.. My clutch kit should be here mid week but I did not order a slave yet. The 900 is my daily right now so I'm trying to get back on the road ASAP.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
My fantasy:
Your bearing blew up and allowed the slave to over-extend and dump all the fluid that got scattered by the spinning flywheel.
The failure rate on home-brew slave rebuilds is daunting. You probably can't get seals faster than a cylinder. How badly you need the car has remarkably little effect on how long it takes to repair.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at your car, cars can't be diagnosed on the internet. This is just a guess made on the basis of what you reported.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fantasy:
You bearing blew up and allowed the slave to over-extend and dump all the fluid that got scattered by the spinning flywheel.
The failure rate on home-brew slave rebuilds is daunting. You probably can't get seals faster than a cylinder. How badly you need the car has remarkably little effect on how long it takes to repair.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at your car, cars can't be diagnosed on the internet.

The purpose of the forum is to best guess diagnose, Jim. The question was do you think the slave is undoubtedly ruined? In other words does the over extension destroy its function ability 100% of the time? I mean I could install the clutch kit with current slave and see for myself but I'm not going to bother if you tell me its not possible. Which has a remarkably considerable effect on how long it takes to repair. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In other words does the over extension destroy its function ability 100% of the time? I mean I could install the clutch kit with current slave and see for myself but I'm not going to bother if you tell me its not possible. Which has a remarkably considerable effect on how long it takes to repair. Thanks!
What tends to happen is over extension introduces the seals to new parts of the cylinder which wear the seals: the seals can then no longer seal properly in their original operating zone. The hassle of rebuilding the slave and installing everything, only to find the slave goes kaputt again and you have to do the whole job again..just do as Jim says. Do it once: do it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts