SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I bought and had delivered a 1986 Saab 900 Turbo 5 spd. Vehicle was delivered today. I noticed after delivery driver dropped it off that the transmission was in neutral and I had the keys in my hand. I assumed something was wrong with the reverse lock (my words). I started the car and took it for a 30 min drive. Put car in reverse and backed out no issue. All gears worked well except 5th was a little “sticky” to get into. Drove the car back to the house and parked it. Had the car in neutral applied parking brake. Went to start the car 5 seconds later and key will not turn. Attempted to put car in reverse and the collar on shifter will not lift. shifter will also not advance to the right to Go into 5th gear as well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Things are probably worn or damaged in there. The thing you need to try and do first is get the shifter into reverse while wiggling the key gently. If you're lucky, once in reverse, you can turn the key fully off, then fully on, then get the shifter out of reverse. If that doesn't work, you'll be removing the seat, the center console, the shifter housing, and its top cover for repairs. Ain't no fun. ALWAYS put the car in reverse before attempting to remove the key.

Also, congrats in the purchase - 86 900T is one of the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

the collar for the shifter won’t move up or down to even attempt to move it to the right to get it into reverse

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I suppose it could be jammed, although I have never seen that. If the car is in neutral now, you can lift the boot, remove the three screws, and lift the whole shifter assembly out to see what the issue is. Just be aware that due to the current circumstance, it may not go back in right and you'll be resigned to taking everything apart. Frankly, I think that's where this is headed any way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heavens sounds like this is going to be fun. Thanks for the heads up. I will let you know when I figure it out

·
Registered
249 Posts
Concerning your comment on 5th gear - I found that my 1990 vert didn't like to sync up to 5th until i was over 45mph.
And currently, i dont even attempt to shift into 5th until i'm over 50mph and usually, not until i'm @ 55 mph and she goes right in effortlessly.

Concerning your key issue, u might find one of my recent threads useful in the near future:
ignition barrel replacement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts