SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Giving Jordan money is a good idea. He seems the guy who could spearhead a relationship with a low-volume injection molding company. The price per part would be high, but being able to get certain plastic pieces again would be great. :)
Short run injection is a min 40k investment from my experience. There is not enough demand out there for one-off molds even for the 9000. The best option IMHO is laser scanning mesh models and having them 3d printed per order. The scan my Genesis Coupe hood scoops with mesh cleanup was 1500. The scoops are around 350 each in nylon on Shapeways. There is a growing market for 3d printed molds but the cost of the finished product is usually too high for simple restorations.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Printing really isn't an option for lenses though... it's fine for solid parts, but falls on its face catastrophically for transparent or translucent.

I worked with a company right before the whole pandemic on setting up a small run of injection molded parts - we were at about $15k for the molds. The gotcha is the cheaper mold processes result in less durable molds. It's fine if you're making small runs, but will bite you in the *** cost-wise for bigger runs.

In general, I've found c900's to have relatively little interior plastic, and what there is tends to be durable. The obvious issue is really the dash fascia. The plastic issue I'm seeing are 3-door tail lights and corner lights. The former spiderweb and the latter shatter. That's gonna be an issue relatively soon.

·
Registered
948 Posts
15k is a deal for short run. Polycarbonate lens is a different animal than textured parts or rough for painting. Casting light housings and lenses is doable with urethane resin and silicone molds but getting the original ones apart without damage is impossible due to welding instead of glue.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
The later corner lights are glued, but the earlier ones jus screwed on. 3-door tail lights were always screwed on. It's not so bad. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well I am always game to help with part ressurection if I can. Smooth-on crystal clear is used with colors to reproduce lenses all the time.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Here's what I wrestle with: If I was going to reproduce a part, would I just replicate the factory part, or would i try an modernize it... use LEDs etc. It keeps me up at night.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here's what I wrestle with: If I was going to reproduce a part, would I just replicate the factory part, or would i try an modernize it... use LEDs etc. It keeps me up at night.
There are plenty of LED replacements for standard sockets these days. I would just wire in load resistors and make them work with the diode monitoring system as-is.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
LED replacement bulbs rarely put or distribute light the way they should. Don't get me wrong, I've done it... but it's not great. If I was going to the trouble of having a new lense made, I'd strongly consider a good solution here.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I wish it was that simple. There is a lot to consider with LED chips, mostly heat dissipation, light dispersion and light segmenting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Way too much money for a shiny old N/A with 200k.
I think is quite high priced. I bought mine 900 8v 99 for 3000SEK roughly 300$, not mint but really good condition. It is true I bought in the mountains in Sweden, perhaps in US is another thing, but I insist 7000$ for a non turbo is a lot of money, think that in the next few years you will need to spend like 2000_3000$ in issues (my experience) engine bearings, drive shaft, CV joints,..., not counting transmision...

I also have a baby BMW and a BMW e46 but my daily driving car is the 900, many people stop by and cheers me up..., of course it has a lot of power but you can get easily 60mph in a highway...

I wouldn t buy bcz of the price, defenetly out of market for much

·
Registered
83 Posts
LED replacement bulbs rarely put or distribute light the way they should. Don't get me wrong, I've done it... but it's not great. If I was going to the trouble of having a new lense made, I'd strongly consider a good solution here.
The best answer is go to garage (junk) sales, where they want to get rid of a bucketful of car bits, which many times includes a horde of scavenged old bulbs. That's what they'll find in my garage, after I'm sodded..

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a 1985 8v for a few years and really enjoyed driving it. I bought it with 150k mi on it so I'm guessing the one you're looking at will need a lot of the same maintenance. At the same time I was driving a 1990 16v (non-turbo) as my DD, so the '85 was my backup. The 8v is definitely more casual about getting up to speed, and the top speed is a bit slower, too. But I was always impressed by the k-jetronic system. I did have to clean it a couple of times. The balance plate is delicate, so just be careful and go slow if you have to open it up.

There are a lot of things I ended up replacing, but if you're somewhat mechanical then none of them should be a problem for you. Getting ahold of a Bentley Repair Manual would be a #1 priority. At 200k mi I'd strongly recommend a bottle of BG-44k for the fuel tank. I'm also a big believer in Auto-Rx for the engine, but that's a more controversial subject and better left for a separate post. (It helped restore more power and top end to my '85.) I tried a number of engine oils (I live in Northern Colorado) and it ran best with either Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage. Oh, and the tranny was a LOT smoother and quieter when I switched from the 75/90 gear oil it had to T6 5W-40 instead.

And be prepared for things to break shortly after you get it (if you buy it). A new owner will drive a car completely differently from the patterns used by the seller, and the new patterns create a high likelihood of parts failures. But that's going to be the situation with any car of this age and mileage, not just the C900.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a 1985 8v for a few years and really enjoyed driving it. I bought it with 150k mi on it so I'm guessing the one you're looking at will need a lot of the same maintenance. At the same time I was driving a 1990 16v (non-turbo) as my DD, so the '85 was my backup. The 8v is definitely more casual about getting up to speed, and the top speed is a bit slower, too. But I was always impressed by the k-jetronic system. I did have to clean it a couple of times. The balance plate is delicate, so just be careful and go slow if you have to open it up.

There are a lot of things I ended up replacing, but if you're somewhat mechanical then none of them should be a problem for you. Getting ahold of a Bentley Repair Manual would be a #1 priority. At 200k mi I'd strongly recommend a bottle of BG-44k for the fuel tank. I'm also a big believer in Auto-Rx for the engine, but that's a more controversial subject and better left for a separate post. (It helped restore more power and top end to my '85.) I tried a number of engine oils (I live in Northern Colorado) and it ran best with either Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage. Oh, and the tranny was a LOT smoother and quieter when I switched from the 75/90 gear oil it had to T6 5W-40 instead.

And be prepared for things to break shortly after you get it (if you buy it). A new owner will drive a car completely differently from the patterns used by the seller, and the new patterns create a high likelihood of parts failures. But that's going to be the situation with any car of this age and mileage, not just the C900.
I started with an '84 and then an '86, both sedans. They were comfortable to drive and were 5-spds and were great for zipping up and down the NJ Turnpike between North Jersey and Newark, Del. As a matter of no particular matter, I used Penzoil 10w-40 and Wix oil filters, and still do. Can't seem to find sedans these days; maybe because the sort of people who' keep their convertible or their creampuff automatic Hatchbacks, keep them in the garage. The 4-door beater stayed out in the driveway, winter and summer and so, slowly oxidized to the point where they became that used alternator or control arm you picked up from the foreign salvage yard. They've all gone to that sunny valley to the West of here, where clutches never fail, your AC always works like a charm, your transmission sounds like the gears and bearings are stuffed with butter and you never need to shut your sunroof. In my afterlife, my garage doors are going to be so wide that my tranquility won't be effected in the least, if my wife decides to back the 900s in; it's going to be that mellow..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts