SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow 900 owners,

Long story short, my 1984 900 S 8v has broken it's harmonic balancer. On all the SAAB parts websites, I cannot seem to locate a crank pulley for my car (it seems they all go back to 1986 and that's it-fellow flat nose owners, please help!) and it's driving me mad for the simple reason that I miss driving my 900. My 85 Volvo 745TI with the M46 just doesn't have the same.. "magic" that my SAABs do, especially the C900. 84 was the first year of the double water pump/alt pulley. Are all the crank pulleys the same from the 16v and 8v cars? The SAAB group on Facebook had very contradicting comments and I was lead to believe that I needed to send my crank pulley off to a company I can't remember the name of to have it remanufactured. However, I was just reading that if the car has the modern double water pump/alt pulley pulley that I can source one. Is this true? If you fine gentlemen could give me some clarification and perhaps even a link where I may order said part, it would be VERY appreciated. Also, when I found this car again and bought it back, it only had 1 of 2 belts on the water pump/alt pulley. Could this have attributed to what broke the pulley?

P.S. I'm also hunting for a steering rack for my 84 900 as mine is.. as typical, leaking everywhere. The pump pulley is also wobbly and leaking fluid all over the place. All will be addressed, this particular 900 and all the memories I have of it going back to when I was 4 years old, I want to keep for life.

Thank you very much
Joe G

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Personally I would send the existing pulley off to the Damper Doctor, as their output is IME superior to what's available new these days. When it comes to c900s, I would probably choose DD rebuilt over new regardless of whether new is available or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damper Doctor. . Thank you, I couldn't remember the name of the company. Is their quality really that good?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
IME, yes. I've had them redo several dampers for older Saabs and some yet-older domestics. I've always gotten good results. If "real Saab" dampers were still available, that'd be an easy decision but the crap that's available these days isn't good. I'd definitely prefer their work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
jvanabra
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing