SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 1983 Saab 900s with a 8valve motor and a manual 5 speed transmission G 45706. I have a lockout on second gear ( probably a bad synchro) so I bought a used GM 55602 transmission.

What will I have to do to get this GM 55602 to mount up. Already I noticed a different motor mount? Can I just swap parts to make this work?

Thanks
Marco
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I don't know specifically what the 55602 is, but there are essentially two variables: Motor mount style and 5th gear support bearing. If the 55602 doesn't have the support hearing, you should be able to put the '83 front cover on the 55602 transmission and install it. Not sure what happens if you mix support bearing scenarios.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
You also need to make sure the Drivers are the same size and the shift linkage will fit (internal/external shifter centering). It can all be swapped.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Good call. An '83 is definitely small drivers. Don't know about 55602.

There is also the matter of the 3/4 centering spring. Since it's going in an '83 it shouldn't matter... the '83 is externally centered. But a later transmission will be internally centered... if you have both it can make 5th a little annoying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for all the responses. I plan on tackling this in the next couple of months. I will update with pics as I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts