SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, hi again.

Can anyone tell me if a 1988 C900i 5 speed manual that requires a new gear box can accept one from a 1983 C900 GLi. I'm thinking this sort of swap over, it the parts are compatible might be more within the realm of my capability - perhaps the big engine swap and transmission conversion is too ambitious for a first timer like me!!

If it is compatible, I would be remiss to not give the donor gearbox a good clean and replace any seals etc, right?

Once again, any special saab tools or any welding required on this job?

Cheers
Saabina83

·
4,637 Posts
To be honest, there's not much difference between the two jobs. You've got to lift both engines, separate gearboxes, mate the right gearbox with the right engine and refit. You'll have more cross compatibility between the '83 and the '84 than with the '88. The only additional work is the auto to manual conversion.

And yes, the gearboxes should just swap. It may be necessary to swap over the driveshafts too but I don't think so between those years.

How many Saabs have you got now?? :lol:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Gearbox swap

Hi Saabina83, I've just done something similar and found a few differences.

Basically the whole gear shifter is different on the updated 900 from the Front Handbrake, flat fronted 900, basically which ever way round your going you'll also need the whole shifter rod from the cabin aswell, so if you take a pre facelift gearbox and put it into a post facelift car you'll also need to swap the gear linkage.

You've just got to remove the drivers or passenger seat, strip out the centre console/gearstick, then lift out the ignition/gear linkage and put it into the other car, you'll have to mess about a bit to line it up but that's not to difficult.

Maybe worth checking that the box will be compatible with the engine, i'm not sure about that.

These are the bits that are different betwen the earlier/later models.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51266

Obvoiusly you'll need to lift the engine, unbolt the old box, and do all that, big job but you'll definitely feel loads more confident about mechanics after you do it (I do now and i did'nt even have to spilt the engine & box.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many Saabs have you got now?? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I only have one Saab - but am pathologically unable to walk past a cheap buy.

I'm thinking that the option of the complete transplant of 83 engine into 84 body and swapping it from auto to manual is looking like the way to go. I'll phone Saabserve tomorrow to see if they can give me a price that doesn't send me into catatonia - may as well get my clutch replaced and flywheel machined while they're at it, with new hoses.

I might also give the guys at Saabwreck a call and price a gearbox for an 99 model. I'm starting to think this is all well and truly out of my league and best left to the guys who know what they're doing - breaking down by the side of the road is not a good look.

I'll let you know what I find out:cheesy: saabina83

·
4,637 Posts
Tell you what. Pay my fare out to Sydney and I'll give you a hand. Gotta be cheaper than asking a garage to do it... :lol:

Seriously though, if you're considering this job, it's well within your capabilities. It takes patience, care and attention, a bit of muscle {are you a reasonably strong Rosie or will you need to borrow some muscle locally??} and time. There's no serious engineering involved and it will give you much more confidence in your abilities. If you can afford to take Ruby off the road for a week, we'll happily hold your online hand while you work through the job.

If you haven't got a Bentley manual, go get one now. It's worth picking up a Haynes manual for the car too. My Haynes "Saab 90, 99, 900 '79 to '87" ISBN 1850104352 is pretty helpful for this job.

There is some detail on doing these sort of jobs but I can't get the search function to work for me just now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts