SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked nutcase if I could put together a collection of photos here as a summary of the project. I've posted photos elsewhere in a timeline fashion, but here I want to do more of a before/after.

The project started March of 2011 when I saw an advert for the car on ScanWest's corkboard and got in touch with the owner. The car was due to be hauled off to a crusher (and in retrospect, probably should have!) as the seller could not find someone to take it on. I had done a partial restoration on one car in 1999, and a full restoration in 2003 (both non-saabs) but this car has been more work than I ever could have imagined.

These photos are from April 2011 - you can see there is damaged to both left and right wings, LR door and the LR quarter. The water pump was leaking.

With the help of a friend, I stripped the car down pretty far and made an attempt at fixing some of the body damage. The white paint that was on top of the original 'coral white' came off in sheets when I pressure washed it.

A lot of parts went into labelled ziplock bags and boxes, but you can never make enough notes to your future self.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rust spots in the roof, before and after. These were the worst but thankfully were not found to have made it through (removed the sound deadening material with a scraper and heat gun).

Tool kit clean up before/after .. I had them sandblasted as well, but no pictures after that. I used POR which is pretty durable stuff and duplicolor for the jack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, does anyone know if that dark grey color of the body after the media blasting is actually the famous phosphated anti-corrosion dip treatment from the factory? It looks like the media blasting got rid of the two layers of paint, but I was concerned about it getting down to the bare metal and losing that treatment. Primer/sealer photos coming next. This was done in two stages with sanding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Inca has always been my favorite wheel, so it was one of the reasons why I went for this car. I know people complain they're too soft, but for a street car they look the part. I had the wheels repaired and trued by Seattle Wheel in Fremont. Powder Coating was done just down the street Ballard.

Before:

After:

Tires are Michelin Hydroedge 195/60/15 - I also found a very nice set of center caps for the Incas which show up in later pictures. I had the lug nuts blasted and grey zinc'ed by Electroplating Finishers in Auburn. Also installed in the fronts are F4-BNE-1950-BE Bilstein and replacement KG5517 KYB in the rear as well as the Skandix lowering springs. Very nice ride and a huge difference through corners.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First round of primer and sealer on the shell. This was sanded, then applied again and sanded. (this was before the Incas were powder coated)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice to see how far this repair has gone, probably the worst of it, though the left rear quarter was previously damaged before it was really damaged.

Here are the hood, doors and hatch primed ..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Some before and after on the engine detail. The only work done on the engine was a valve job/adjustment which involved replacing some worn buckets and shims and a water pump rebuild. I did also remove the coolant collar mod from the air intake bellows. That was supposedly a recall to prevent the throttle housing from freezing up. The collar had 100% blockage, so I removed it and installed an unmodified bellows. Heater core and radiator were cleared of blockage, flushed and sealed by Greenwood Radiator. Getting the heater core out means pulling the blower box. The shop manual suggests 'removing the power plant', though all you need to do it remove the alternator, windscreen wipers/motor and valve cover to make way for it. Both electric motors for the fans on the radiator and in the blower box were also cleaned up and lubricated. They're made by Electrolux and are a very easy to service and both needed it.

before:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
in progress:
Before pressure washing and scrub brushing

After

I used POR-20 silver on the headers, but it is beginning to flake. It would be easy enough to remove them later and have them done professionally. I was wondering why other SAAB 99s had chrome oil filler caps. My cap was indeed chrome underneath black spray paint. All it needed was stripping and polishing. On the battery tray, I used fiberglass and dynaglass to rebuild the corners.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
after painting

putting fusebox/wiring looms back in .. (cellphone+fluorescent lighting makes the paint look dark)

still in progress but looking good (photo by squaabt):

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I do not have any before pictures of the door striker plates and washer/nuts for the wiper arms, but they were heavily corroded. I sandblasted then and had them zinc'ed along with two sets of Inca lug nuts.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
This is really great SJones. Thank you for taking the time to upload and post so many pictures of what's been done. I'm impressed with the the sheer volume of time it takes to get this far.

Certainly commend your model choice. This just has to be the same 5 door I got to see at the XXX Cruise in? I know in jest you said earlier it should have gone to the wrecker but surely you see now what a remarkable ride this will be when complete.

Looking forward to more!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here are some before, progress and after of the hatch area. Rubberized paint was used in the tool area and on the underside. Quite a dramatic transition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This is really great SJones. Thank you for taking the time to upload and post so many pictures of what's been done. I'm impressed with the the sheer volume of time it takes to get this far.

Certainly commend your model choice. This just has to be the same 5 door I got to see at the XXX Cruise in? I know in jest you said earlier it should have gone to the wrecker but surely you see now what a remarkable ride this will be when complete.

Looking forward to more!
Thank you .. its been a lot of work, but still quite a bit to go. I've got an exhaust leak and rattle at the manifold and I need to get the alignment done but I'm going to be on the March of 9s .. looking forward to it. And yes, I was at the Triple X sans bumpers! ;-) What were you driving?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Ha ha March of the Nines! Yes, looking forward to some silly fun on the 18th.

What were you driving?
A simple silver 95 that makes me very happy but nothing on your project even at 50%! I was just happy to be there. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha ha March of the Nines! Yes, looking forward to some silly fun on the 18th.

A simple silver 95 that makes me very happy but nothing on your project even at 50%! I was just happy to be there. :)
The 9-5 is an excellent car for sure and far from its grave. I think there was a really sporty 9-5 (turbo x?) parked next to mine during that event.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The seats before and after. Both front seats and some of the rear were 'rebuilt' using duct-tape. They were then covered with two layers of seat covers - one cowboy burlap and the other cookie monster. I actually did not know about the duct-tape until after I started taking the car apart. However, I always planned to redo the interior, so it was hilarious to see these.

before:

after:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts