SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled this water pump out today. It seems the head gasket had a little motivation for failing!

When I took the pump cover off I could push down on the pump and it would spring back up a bit. It wasn't engadging the shaft and would turn freely. A good yank with a pair of pliers and the whole thing came out (way too easily). The teeth on the pump look worn but nothing is broken and the shaft seems okay too.

This is my first older style water pump that I have encountered. I suspect it was installed incorrectly and that is why after a while it worked itself 'loose." The previous owner 'did the water pump' before he sold it to me.

How do I install this thing or might it be a better use of my time to put another engine in? ;) I did a bit of searching and could only find good information with pictures about the newer pumps.

I will try to get pictures up today so you can see the condition of the gear teeth. They are sharp and worn.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
we need a sticky faq thread with links to all the decent instruction threads

nutcases b engine water pump guide

doing the water pump is straight forward with the special tool. is there someone you can borrow one off in your local saab club or something? I wouldnt scrap an engine just for the water pump!

It does sound like the person who did yours previously didnt properly insert it into the block.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the gear teeth are worn and sharp it sounds like someone might have used an aftermarket water pump shaft. Did it make any whining noise? I'd like to see some pictures to be sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm staying at a friends house and haven't had the chance to get any pictures up guys! sorry!

Both the teeth on the pump and the shaft are badly worn. The engine will have to be removed anyhow to replace the shaft, and I dont want to take apart another good engine just yet to fix this one, so I think a direct replacement is in order.

We do have a water pump tool in the club but this thing came out with a slight yank from a pair of vice grips. It wasn't in there right, which is what probably caused the teeth to wear down so badly.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
SaabsBreakDown said:
I'm staying at a friends house and haven't had the chance to get any pictures up guys! sorry!

Both the teeth on the pump and the shaft are badly worn. The engine will have to be removed anyhow to replace the shaft, and I dont want to take apart another good engine just yet to fix this one, so I think a direct replacement is in order.

We do have a water pump tool in the club but this thing came out with a slight yank from a pair of vice grips. It wasn't in there right, which is what probably caused the teeth to wear down so badly.
If this water pump is the early type (type I) with a bolt in the top of the shaft, they can sometimes be removed with pliers, this is the only B series pump that can be removed using a slide hammer, how many teeth are on the impeller?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts