SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The only rear window shocks I have seen online say They are for 1973 and newer.
I presume somehow the design changed?
Anyone find a good solution for the pre '73 Sonett 3? I am currently using a piece of wood.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
I remember seeing someone mention this a few years ago. There were struts off a completely different car (like a Nissan Maxima or something) that could be retrofitted, but I can’t remember. Maybe a search on SaabNet would help?

Or, this would work. Slightly more elegant than a piece of wood... ;)

EDIT: Found them in a post on SaabNet! They were indeed for a ‘95-‘99 Maxima. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Can you connect me to the SAABNet post? I'd like to read about the modification.

THANKS!
Matt
I remember seeing someone mention this a few years ago. There were struts off a completely different car (like a Nissan Maxima or something) that could be retrofitted, but I can’t remember. Maybe a search on SaabNet would help?

Or, this would work. Slightly more elegant than a piece of wood... ;)

EDIT: Found them in a post on SaabNet! They were indeed for a ‘95-‘99 Maxima. :)
?

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
There was no other info, just the strut part number.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha, ok will check one out, thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it turns out in 1971 it was not a strut, it was a rod that you manually insert over nubs on either end. I scored one from Mark School in WI, along with several other needed parts.
Thanks Mark! My Sonett is now complete minus bumpers, not sure if I am going to bother with those, still on the fence. Now it needs carb work and fiberglass repair (someday)..

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
So it turns out in 1971 it was not a strut, it was a rod that you manually insert over nubs on either end. I scored one from Mark School in WI, along with several other needed parts.
Thanks Mark! My Sonett is now complete minus bumpers, not sure if I am going to bother with those, still on the fence. Now it needs carb work and fiberglass repair (someday)..
Correct, up to and including ’72 it was just a rod that held up the hatch. ‘73 & ‘74 got the struts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts