SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spring that runs between the two sets of shoes is rubbing on the hub of the drum. While the noise is annoying, there is seemingly no loss of braking power. But the spring which already shows sign of the scraping could wear thru at any time. Did I mention the noise is annoying?

We tried to shave the hub a little but are afraid to take that too far. I was going to bite the bullet and just buy new drums but even Skandix no longer carries the 5 hole pattern drums.Not sure why this is happening. Maybe the previous owner used an alternate spring?

We also notice the pads, while not very worn, are not making little or no contact in a couple of areas. I don't know much but my mechanic is a SAAB exclusive guy for the last 35 years or so and he had no ideas so far.

Few Sonett people around but the manual seems to say these are same brakes on the 95/96 V4

Your thoughts would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
I can’t remember from when I did my brakes over back when I had my Sonett, but it sounds like the pads or springs may be installed incorrectly. The springs are behind the shoes, right?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try to find a sketch or pull the wheel and take a photo.
If by behind you mean pad, then the spring runnIng under the hub to connect to the pad on the other side, then yes

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe this discussion gives me an idea. The spring that rubs is #3 in this drawing, looks like the handbrake spring. So what if the handbrake isn’t releasing fully causing tension on the spring so it is taut and up against the hub. If it releases is will relax and drop down And not rub?

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Sounds like you’ll need to pull the wheel and check it out. Skandix does sell the rear brake hardware kits (or, at least I think they still do) so you may need to pick one up. It’s possible the previous owner grabbed the wrong spring from an auto parts store. Never know what you’ll find on 50 year old cars...! :)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the most recent owner today. He replaced the pads recently and tried to fix the emergency brake. He said some grommets or something got stuck somewhere in the handle or cable area. He seemed unsure of the brake job as he asked how the pads were doing.
I will take a look at Skandix again though a lot of V4 parts whether 96 or Sonett are discontinued. I am going to review the e brake to see if it is binding enough to screw up the spring as the e brake itself is not engaged or rubbing. If that checks out I will try out a different spring

thanks for being engaged

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
I talked to the most recent owner today. He replaced the pads recently and tried to fix the emergency brake. He said some grommets or something got stuck somewhere in the handle or cable area. He seemed unsure of the brake job as he asked how the pads were doing.
I will take a look at Skandix again though a lot of V4 parts whether 96 or Sonett are discontinued. I am going to review the e brake to see if it is binding enough to screw up the spring as the e brake itself is not engaged or rubbing. If that checks out I will try out a different spring

thanks for being engaged
Yeah, his discussion with you wouldn‘t make me feel warm & fuzzy if I were you...lol. I’m going to stick with my original thought that something did not get put together correctly. The pads can be put in upside down by accident too.

The e-brake cables are no longer available anywhere and are notorious for going bad. But, a few years back I asked a company to duplicate my old ebrake cable AND put the info into their database for future Sonett owners! I think it was Inline Tube if memory serves (believe the info is still in my What On Earth Is A Sonett blog). Also, the ebrake hardware (that the cables actuate) can get rusted up too. I sandblasted mine and gave them a light coat of zinc-rich primer and paint to help prevent that.

Happy to chime in. Glad to see someone giving a Sonett the care it deserves. (y)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a great car to start with. Underside and rockers completely restore. New paint. Extra engine that has bored block with MSS pistons and exhaust ports enlarged. Heavy duty valve springs. Custom, though too loud, dual exhaust. Petronix ignition. Weber dual carb with intake manifold re to install with the new engine. VG interior except for cloth headliner. AC that I can have installed. I live in Tucson, 107 degrees coming next week. Brand new Vredestein tires.
I read most of your rebuild. I won’t quite get to that level but I am very pumped. Expect a few more questions along the way, haha.

Look what came with it. Along with 7 period manuals and 15 or so SAAB Journals from early 1990’s

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The autograph was on the inside leaf. Eric the great

Reactions: Joshinator99

·
Registered
806 Posts
Few Sonett people around but the manual seems to say these are same brakes on the 95/96 V4
ISTR the rear brakes on my '68 96 were the same parts as Volkswagen Beetles of the era.
Look what came with it. Along with 7 period manuals and 15 or so SAAB Journals from early 1990’s
That is gold! 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts