SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright- potentially useless info for most since I NEVER see any early models discussed here BUT....

The freewheel trans in my '70 99E was toast- rebuilt and installed a '75 4 speed. I thought all was well- the only problem being an odd clicking noise on extremely hard turns. I figured it was outer CV's, shock bushing etc- something obvious. Well it wasnt.

The freewheel transmission has driven cup flanges (inboard "CV" or "tripod" joint) that are supported only by their fitting into the ring gear carrier. Non-FW trannys are like C900's- the stub axle is supported by two tapered roller bearings held in the removable flange on either side of the housing. Although the tripod joint is the same for pretty much all 99's and 900's the LENGTH of the half shaft is NOT.

The early FW tranny is narrower as measured from outside to outside of the drive cups = the half shafts are longer. My odd noise was actually the tripod joint bottoming out in the cup! I had tossed the '75 wheel carriers and brake calipers (I wouldnt want to use them in any case as '75 has the idiotic "back mounted" brakes rotors that require entire hub teardown to replace). I wound up shortening the half shafts by 10mm.

I cut the shafts in two, put them in a lathe and precisely shortened by 10mm. Then I gorund a 45 degree taper on the facing ends. I put the two parts in a V block and spot welded them together. Checked for straightness I then TIG welded the two halves back to gether, ground the weld flush and put a steel sleeve over the joint. I then welded each end seam of the sleeve to the shaft.

It might have commited a rather large faux pax from on originality standpoint- or even pushed the strength enevlope to possible failure point. The car makes 75 hp on a good day and the shaft diameter is identical to a C900 16V T- so Im hoping the shafts stay together. 100 miles on them so far and no signs of trouble.

·
Registered
643 Posts
All early transmissions up to and including 1974 were supposedly narrower, not just the free wheeling ones. I ran into a similar problem when I restored my '73. I used the transmission and drives from my parted out '74EMS, only to experience severe shaking at speeds over 5mph. It ended up being the same situation, where the tripods were bottoming out in the cups, but it took me a few months to figure it out. I was baffled because the set-up worked in the 74 body, but didn't work in the 73. My solution was to install the 73 trans in the 73 body, and the rest is history.....but it still has me baffled as to why it worked in the 74, but not the 73.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'73 had D-Jet on a B motor? Hmmmm. So much for building a theory, LOL.

So what was the first year for CIS/K-Jet- '75?

Sweet looking car by they way- that looks like a TON of man hours. Very nice.

Dammit! I have a fine CIS B motor- should have built that with my existing '70 D-Jet and just adjusted FP or injector size for the displacement increase

·
Registered
643 Posts
The 2.0 was introduced in european 99's of 1972, so 99's coming to the states were soon to follow suit.

According to a 1973 engineering features brochure I have, all 73's were equipped with the 2.0 liter engine in either the E or C versions. E being electronic fuel injection, and C being carbureted.

1975 was pretty much the end of carbureted 99's in the states with the introduction of CIS, which was a direct result of strict EPA standards.

·
Registered
389 Posts
yeah my 73 is a djet car, and thanks to Doug mentioning this issue i avoided the same thing with my car. mine has a 99T trans, 87 900t spindles (with the vented rotors but still front handbrake) and also has the later larger 900 inner drivers. that combo works great, and should truly be bulletproof with the 110hp setup it has in it now... the other reason i didnt use the old axles is the boots were shot, and if you can find em (Chip Lamb of west of sweden has em) theyre way way expensive, like $45+ a side iirc.

Paul

·
Registered
389 Posts
oh, almost forgot, the only issue with the later c900 hubs is that the stock shelbys from my 73 dont fit anymore, since they have a smaller centerbore than the later shelbys. These 99s are kooky cars...

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts