SaabCentral Forums banner

1967 96 ??

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jalpa3500 
#1 ·
So i just purchased what is supposed to be a 1967 96 Monte Carlo 850. However, i have done a little research on the chassis number, which is 392376. According to what i have read that would make it MY 1966, but the title says 1967. Am i missing something?

#7 ·
In '67 what makes the car a Monte Carlo? Is there a list of upgrades, for example? Thanks! for any info because I'm really just trying to understand what is different between the Monte Carlo and a regular 96.
Believe Monte Carlo had a higher output out of the 2 stroke engine vs standard 2 stroke in regular 96.

#5 ·
Saab model year if I recall correctly went from July or August of the preceding year to whenever the start of their summer shut down was.

So MY66 would have run from July/August 1965 to around about June/July 1966.

So it would be easier to find a MY66 car registered in 1965 but special models did sometimes hang about on the forecourt so it's not unheard of.

#9 ·
There were many differences in th MC. Tach is standard, body trims are different, seats are unique,...etc.
There was a MC offered as a V4 in 68,69. The 2stroke engines are very different from their standard counterparts, most notably crankshaft being a multiple piece unit with its own performance advantages. MC's were available in 750cc, 850cc, and V4.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

#10 ·

Here is my 66 96MC
The engine is a triple carb unit with a different cylinder head from standard to increase static compression, along with the fore-mentioned crankshaft.
The double side trim and fogs are standard for the MC in 66, along with side badges representing the sport model.
Notice the 4-lug wheels. MC's had front discs long before standard cars. Not shown are the beauty rings and hubcaps that distinguish the car s a high end sedan.
The interior had sport model seats identifiable by the chrome side hinges. These are of the same style as Porsche 356 seats (almost). The steering wheel was made by Nardi and has a few different variations on a theme throughout the model history. The speed pilot was also a standard issue MC feature, as most were rallied or raced in some fashion. Tach and higher mph speedo were also equipped. Radios were typically installed from Sweden as were floor mats and other Deluxe features.

#11 · (Edited)

Notice the dual headrests in the nice car, only passenger seats had headrests until 67. This car is not a MC. The late hubcaps don't fit early wheels, wrong trim, no badges, etc, but it has 67 MC seats for example.
Top photo shows the trim rings on the wheels. That's the day I found it.
Trunk lid badges match the sides but larger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.