SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
IMHO it's too much wheel, it looks awkward on the car and means you need to run very low profile rubber which a) looks a bit ricey and b) butchers the ride which is already mediocre at best.

I'd ideally run 225/50/18 or 235/45/18 but the former is a tad too much diameter.
as someone who actually runs 19's with "ricey" stretched low profile tires, don't knock it til you try it.

no real difference in the ride, the difference that is there, the average person wouldnt notice. i drive through a city pretty regularly (phila.) just dont be a dumb *** and keep an eye out for potholes, even outside of city.

most of these post are personal preference and not personal experience. half of these guys are still running the stock 17's or 16's and arnt even running aftermarket wheels. you want to take a look or post in the "aftermarket wheel gallery" sticky for some real feedback. while 18'' is the most common choice, there are 19's and even 20's being run on 93's.

TLDR: you can run 19's perfectly fine, plus it's you car and your money, go for it.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
IMHO it's too much wheel, it looks awkward on the car and means you need to run very low profile rubber which a) looks a bit ricey and b) butchers the ride which is already mediocre at best.

I'd ideally run 225/50/18 or 235/45/18 but the former is a tad too much diameter.
Mine is 225/40-18. How does it look ? I hope I'm more ricey (I'm Asian) than my car :cheesy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The correct offsets of the wheels can either make or break your overall look. Sure, size does matter, but the offsets can enhance the look exponentially.

19x8.5 with (I'm assuming) a et.35 offset:

vs.

19x8.5 with (again, assuming) an et. 45 offset:

the correct offset can minimize the distance from the edge of the wheel to the fender, giving you an appearance of a "flush" edge that doesn't have a wheel that sinks into the fenderwell.

Some tips, if you don't plan on suspension work, sticking with 17's or max 18's will reduce the 4x4 look everyone here is complaining about. IF you go with 19's, I highly recommend going with a Coilover or aftermarket spring setup to reduce fender/wheel gap to maximize the look

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Mine is 225/40-18. How does it look ? I hope I'm more ricey (I'm Asian) than my car :cheesy:
IMHO too much wheel gap, I am running 225/45 and frankly if the "tyre profile doesn't affect ride much at all" then frankly the stock suspension on these cars is the worst i have EVER driven this side of a lada. The crashing and banging i get is atrocious and i blamed myself for going 225/45 not 225/50 when stock was 215/55 but all the guys here that want to run truck wheels are saying it's not making a big difference ... i find that a bit hard to believe tbh.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I hate to break it to you bud, but you will NOT find the 19'' Turbo X Wheels ANYWHERE. I mean, 19's look sweet on the TX and I'm sure would like awesome on your 2.0T, but if you're going for the TX wheels, you're not in a good position. The TX wheels are literally impossible to find. Especially the 19's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I hate to break it to you bud, but you will NOT find the 19'' Turbo X Wheels ANYWHERE. I mean, 19's look sweet on the TX and I'm sure would like awesome on your 2.0T, but if you're going for the TX wheels, you're not in a good position. The TX wheels are literally impossible to find. Especially the 19's.

the 18's are easy to get a hold of but those euro 19's, i agree. you would have to contact ana or that german dealer or the big one in holland to see if they have any left. good luck getting them over here at a decent price for shipping. I looked at the hirsch stuff when they had them on sale and the shipping was as much as the rims.

dave

·
Registered
433 Posts
the 18's are easy to get a hold of but those euro 19's, i agree. you would have to contact ana or that german dealer or the big one in holland to see if they have any left. good luck getting them over here at a decent price for shipping. I looked at the hirsch stuff when they had them on sale and the shipping was as much as the rims.

dave
Is that so? If you know somebody who has 2 extra ones I'd like to speak to them. I need a new 18 inch as one has major curb slap on 'em.

·
Registered
433 Posts
as someone who actually runs 19's with "ricey" stretched low profile tires, don't knock it til you try it.

no real difference in the ride, the difference that is there, the average person wouldnt notice. i drive through a city pretty regularly (phila.) just dont be a dumb *** and keep an eye out for potholes, even outside of city.

most of these post are personal preference and not personal experience. half of these guys are still running the stock 17's or 16's and arnt even running aftermarket wheels. you want to take a look or post in the "aftermarket wheel gallery" sticky for some real feedback. while 18'' is the most common choice, there are 19's and even 20's being run on 93's.

TLDR: you can run 19's perfectly fine, plus it's you car and your money, go for it.
Well said btw. I've had 2 9-3's at this point. My 06. 2.0T and my TX. I'll tell you right now, I've had cars that run from 16's (2.0T) to 19's (my buddy has a GTI with 19's) and from my TX to his GTI there is practically no difference in ride. You have to be really astute to driving conditions to be able to pick up on the possible differences. On top of that, 19's don't look ricey at all. If anything, since the TX came with 19's on it in Sweden, it makes the car look even cleaner. 19s fill in the 93 wheelwell most spledidly, and I'd put my stakes with Fivestar here. Don't knock it until you try it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
In which the stock suspension is laughably bad, no way that much road surface should find it's way into the cabin on a heavy luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You know Alfi, Koni's are on sale or you could get set of Maptun coilovers. Both improve the stock ride and would make the car fun to drive.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
At first those Finishline got my attention but then the "chrome" look the same as the silver painted wheels. Makes me wonder with that lack of attention to detail?

It's not going to be easy getting real Turbo X wheels. I finally got used to and like that asymmetric look but have yet to see a set or reasonably priced ones for sale.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Running both a 2009 Vector (basically a 2.0T with an Aero interior) with 17"s and a 2009 TX with 19"s the difference in suspension feel is pretty stark. The TX setup is obviously more "sporty" as you would expect. I agree that the 19"s on the car look really good. When I got the TX last August I had just put some new tyres on the Vector and was shocked by how much the new tyres improved the handling, ride and lowered the level of road noise. I was extremely disappointed in how harsh the TX ride was in comparison and had more or less convinced myself to buy a set of 18"s to help improve the ride.

However, I am now of the belief it is less about wheel size and more about the quality of the suspension itself. For example, the Opel Insignia OPC which is basically a reskinned 9-5 Aero XWD was recently launched here in Australia. The testers raved about the great ride and comfort on a car with 20" wheels. I am about to upgrade the suspension on my TX with a set of Maptun coilovers. The 9-3 is now a relatively old car design and maybe the suspension on the TX was underdone, especially with 19"s.

Will an upgraded TX on 19"s ride better than the Vector? Probably not from a "comfort" perspective but from a "performance" perspective the answer is obviously yes. As a daily driver, the Vector on 17"s is always going to be a better option, just as the original designers intended.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts