SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How would you consider buying à 175000miles 9000 aero ? I'm new to Saab, and I wonder if such a car may last longer. Engine and turbo are stock, gearbox was changed at 100000miles. I saw the trivia mileage page, but saw few Aeros.
Is it a reasonnable buy, is it worth ? Any subjective remark is welcome ;-)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Its really a case of checking that as much of the big stuff has been done and it has been serviced regularily. Lots and lots of receipts and history I would say.
By that mileage it should have had / nice to know they are done:
1) Gearbox recon -
2) Clutch
3) Full timing chain job
4) Possible new head gasket (not necessarily though)
5) Engine mounts /bushes
6) Suspension bushes
7) Shocks

If the car has been well maintained then it should be fine. Tell tale signs like cheap brand tyres owner enthusiasm can give a lot away.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'll second Skint's comment; if it is well looked after and runs right, buy it.

There are not many Aeros around, and many have died young due to structural damage as opposed to wearing out...

·
Banned
637 Posts
Tough decision.. Aeros ARE appealing.. But they normally live V Hard lives...more so than any other Saab.
This is one well used Car.. by anyone's Yardstick.
It's likely about due for another trans.. NO rebuild will live as long as the OEM box Build... it's time is up.. add in a clutch and it's Hydraulic system while it's apart.
Hows the Heater Core and Blower? Rack still OK ?
Headliner falling down yet? Seat heaters still Working?
Rust coming thru the bottom edges of the Doors?
Rad, Water pump, all Hoses been replaced? should be .
AC still OK?
Rotors, Calipers been replaced recently?
Shox should be renewed,are they ?
Motor could soldier on a 'bit' longer.. But I'd suggest both a compression test and a Leakdown test before handing over yr $$.
What about the ABS? TCS?.. both of those are a couple of thousand..each.. to renew.
This has the potential of absorboing a LOTof yr Money.. Suggest paying V little for it ... misstakes are a lot easier to take if the purchase price was palatable :)

G'luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for all your advice, I will visit the car soon, having in mind all you told me.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
The turbo is also quite big. Check for oil leaks around the rubber bit near the throttle body. If it looks like there is oil spots, the turbo is on it's way out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts