SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mates:

Recently purchased a 2003 9-5 aero wagon. It has 17 inch wheels. I am looking for a set of 16 inch wheels to mount snow tires. (I have searched this forum but have not found any posts on point)

Two questions:

1. Will 9-3 wheels fit and if so, what bolt pattern and offset.

2. What do you recommend in size and brand of snow tires? I currently run Hakkapeliitas and Michelin ice2 on old S class Mercedes.

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
We must be twins! I just bought an 03 Aero wagon on 9/26 and am looking for all season tires fit for my Oregon maritime climate. My manual says 16" will work but they are the minimum allowed because of our brakes.

We get cold, wet Winters here with some ice and occasional snow followed by a wet Spring and a long, dry Summer. I will probably go with Continental DWS as they worked well on my BMW wagon and are reasonably priced.

I will be watching the answers on this thread as I may want to get some 16" wheels with snow tires. Tire calculator shows 205/55-16 are -0.4% from the stock 225/45-17 and 210/55-16 are +0.5%.
Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in southern Indiana. We get limited snow but enough to warrant the snow tires. I searched a lot on the interchangeability of wheel but did not find anything on point. I was surprised that the issue was apparently not addressed (or I am totally incompetent in searching). I can find 16 inch wheels but all of them are off a 9-3.

Hopefully someone will come to our rescue. Btw this is my wife's third Saab, priors are 74 99 and 96 900 turbo se (74 purchased in 1978 was trouble from the start. 96 Saab was basically trouble free until 140k. Money pit since then. Still enjoy it (160K) but have spent much more on it in last 3 years than it is worth!

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I had a set of 16" wheels on my 03 Aero Sedan from a 99 9-5 SE (the 5-spoke wheels) when I lived in Rochester NY and had a set of snows on those wheels.

No issues, go for it. Those wheels are reasonably cheap, the 16" tires are a lot less and I never really wanted to have "all season" tires on my car.

But I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff now that I live in CA!

·
Registered
927 Posts
If your interested I have 3 16'' Saab Rims off my 1999 9-5 SE. They are the 5 spoke rims in some of the pix in my garage. Sorry dont have the 4th, hit a rock over the pass and broke the rim. I can sell just 2 if you want or all 3 and you can find a 4th to finish the set

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 16 inch rims I have located (in another state) are off a 2005 9-3. Are 9-3 and 9-5 rims interchangeable? My wife's recently acquired car is a 2003 9-5 aero wagon?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
yes, the 9-3 and 9-5 wheels are interchangeable.

My son had a set of wheels from a 2005 9-3 on his 9-5 for a while but went back to the originals when he got a new set of tires this time.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
16-inch will fit an Aero

I have a set of 16-inch wheels fitted with Gislaved's that I picked up used last month. I did a test for before buying because one Saab Wheel website said the particular 3-spoke style wheel I was intending to buy wouldn't fit an Aero. They fit fine.

As for snow tire brands it depends on your usage. I have used Nokian, Semperit, Dunlop, and Cooper snow tires in the recent past on my non-Aero 9-5.

For my winter driving needs, mostly cold expressways traveled at 70+ MPH with some unplowed snowy roads and occasional black ice, I found the Cooper Weather-Master S/T2 tires to offer the best compromise of high speed stability and winter time traction.

The Q-rated Nokians were grippier but squirrelly at higher speeds. The H-rated Semperits and Dunlops were better at high speeds but gave up too much grip - IMHO. All tires are a compromise but the Coopers were the best match for what I need.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Winter/WEATHER-MASTER-S-T-2.aspx

·
Registered
435 Posts
We must be twins! I just bought an 03 Aero wagon on 9/26 and am looking for all season tires fit for my Oregon maritime climate. My manual says 16" will work but they are the minimum allowed because of our brakes.

I will be watching the answers on this thread as I may want to get some 16" wheels with snow tires. Tire calculator shows 205/55-16 are -0.4% from the stock 225/45-17 and 210/55-16 are +0.5%.
Don
The WIS (Workshop Information System), straight from Saab Technical, specify, for the Aero, it can use both 16" and 17" wheels, the suspension having been tuned for the 17" 225/45-R17.

And for the 16" wheels they specify 215/55-R16, winter or summer...

The WIS also specifies that for Aero models, 15" wheels are «verboten», «niet», interdit, «nein» or ney.

This is what I'm driving on the 2004 9.5 Aero Sedan and it works great : 17" on summer tires and 16" on winter tires. I live in snow country.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts