SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is not doing so hot on fuel economy and its slowly starting to burn a hole in my wallet and I only use the best 93+ octane. I plan on doing these upgrades but if there is anything else that would help please feel free to add (No one say lay off the gas because Ive been leaving it under 3000rpm:p and I'm not do for an oil change anytime soon)

1. Replace the spark plugs
2. New air inlet and filter or open intake (still haven't decided yet)

Also would replacing the fuel filter help?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
No your car is obviously getting enough fuel.

I would say it could be your MAF sensor, try cleaning that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
what type of driving are you doing? mostly-all city driving plus the v6 will definitely cut down on your mpg. Also take into account that the original mpg isn't accurate. the new EPA estimates for your car are 16/24.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pdenton said:
what type of driving are you doing? mostly-all city driving plus the v6 will definitely cut down on your mpg. Also take into account that the original mpg isn't accurate. the new EPA estimates for your car are 16/24.
I do drive mostly city and some highway. 16 MPG just seems too low. My 06 Nissan Xtera gets 17-18 MPG in the city and thats with a 4.0L V6.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The MAF sensor sounds like a possible culprit. It might be stuck in cold-start mode which apparently burns more fuel...

Also don't forget that the T7 retunes over time to match your driving style.
I was getting 15L/100kms for a while and then did a lot of long distance driving one weekend and now 2 weeks later its still hovering around 11L/100lms without any change in my regular city driving. Also you MPG will really suck if you spend lots of time with your car park in traffic :x

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm sure after I change the air filter and spark plugs It will be a little better. It jusrt seems like I was getting better fuel efficancy untill recently I never checked it before so I don't know if it was better or not.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a V6 as well and I hear you bro. I get 15-16 mpg driving around hilly city with slow traffic and trips of 3-5 miles at the time :/ (calculated, not SID). On the other hand, when my Saab streches its legs on the highway I get 30+ mpg on nice long trips :D V6 is just not a good choice for city driving and grocery trips :/

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have one too

and I get around 23.5 mpg.

This is mixed driving some highway, some stop-go.

Has new plugs, filter (all within the last year). Tire pressure is ~32lbs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
is there a way someone could start a poll to see what kind of fuel economy everyone got? do it in like 2-3 mpg increments maybe

·
Registered
34 Posts
saabcog said:
I got about a 1.5mpg increase by adding some more air to my tires. I'm guessing tire pressure isn't the solution, but any bit helps.

I went from 32psi to 39psi (still within SAAB tire pressure recommendation) and I figured out I'm getting about 30 more miles per tank.
If I increase the tire pressure will it increase the wear on the tires.

·
Registered
695 Posts
wallek13 said:
That's a good question, and I don't have the answer. I've only been running with the higher tire pressure for a few months.

I guess it wouldn't make sense to save $4 per tank of gas if it is at the cost of tire life.

The way I read the door frame sticker the tire pressure is determined by the number of passengers, SAAB wants 32psi for 1-3 people and 39spi for 1-5 people. I would hope that SAAB wouldn't recommend something damaging to the tires...

...but like we say around my house, "hope and $1 will get you a bottle of water." ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
wallek13 said:
Not unless you put them up so high they balloon and wear the center of the tire. What are they at now? I have mine at 35-37 and they don't wear weird at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well funny thing happened I reset my ecu to see if a CEL would clear and not only does my car seem to be noticeably faster but I've driven about 70mi since then and my gas needle has barely moved. I've been driving pretty aggressively due to this new performance I'm enjoying :) and so far my MPG seems better I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm happy. I also got my new plugs in air filter I've yet to put in. The only bad thing is the CEL light came back so I still gotta take my car in :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts