SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 9-5 with stock 16 inch rims on it. Will 15 inch steel wheels fit on it for snow tires? If I look at the 16" rims it looks like there is not much clearance between the brakes and rim, however there is a pretty good sized lip on the outside of the rim, the inner part looks like there would be lots more clearance I dont know if steelies would be the same, or if the bottom of the rim is flat all across? So, to anyone who may know, can this be done?
Thanks
J

I just read this, its really confusing, i will see if I can post a pic.
J

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
15-inch Steelies will fit just fine

I have been running 15-inch steel wheels with snow tires on my 2000 lpt for six years now. They won't fit on Aero versions, and will not fit on some of the later SE/ARC versions which included the Aero rotors in the package, but will be fine on a 1999 base model..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good to know.

This is my first winter with 99 9-5 lpt, I have some 15 inch snow tires from my old 9000, however the rims are 4 lug :(

Where did you end up picking up 15" rims for the 9-5? The cheaper the better :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Tirerack

I bought my 15-inch steel wheels from Tirerack. I initially used a set of Tirerack's inexpensive plastic wheel covers which "sort of" resembled Saab wheels.

I have since replaced these with authentic Saab plastic wheel covers; State of Nine, eEuroparts, TheSaabSite, and other parts places sell these.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Why not run 16" Steelies?

I have these with my Blizzaks.

the 5 spokes are the summer tires...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Nothing against 16-inch steelies....

I just don't remember them being available in the Fall of 2001 when I bought my 15's.

The least expensive route may be buying a set of used alloy rims, 15 or 16-inch. I often see these on auction sites for less than the cost of 4 new steel wheels, and they look better than wheel covers. Alas, I learned this too late!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
MI-Roger said:
The least expensive route may be buying a set of used alloy rims, 15 or 16-inch. I often see these on auction sites for less than the cost of 4 new steel wheels, and they look better than wheel covers. Alas, I learned this too late!
Or keep the stock 16's for winter, and buy a set of 17's off of eBay for summer tires!. If you're not too picky about the style, they are very cheap. I got a set of four practically new Klingons for $350 shipped to Canada, including duty.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I use 15" steel wheels for winter, with Nokian WR 196/65-15 on them. Saturn L-series wheels are the same (we share a bunch of suspension parts with them) and more readily available at wreckers. Mine are from an L-Series.

15" wheels give you higher sidewalls (more protection from pavement impacts and smoother ride), narrower tread (better snow traction), AND they're cheaper! It costs you in handling and dry braking but in the winter who cares?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just came across this in the owners manual. I assume the aero has the bigger brake rotors and the 15's will not fit

Disk Diamter:

Front______________________ 11.34 in (288 mm)
Front, certain variants *)_____ 12.05 in (306 mm)
Rear_______________________ 11.26 in (286 mm)
Front, certain variants *)_____ 11.81 in (300 mm)

*) 15" wheel must not be used on these variants

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have my 15 inch tires left over from my poor departed (crashed) 9000
But my 9-5 came with 16 inch wheels, I have a friend in the auto parts biz who can get me the rims pretty cheap, and since I already have the tires it is the cheapest option for me.
I am gonna go ahead and order the rims since it dumped snow here yesterday and my summer racing slicks are not cutting it anymore.
Thanks for all the help from everybody.
J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts