SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a drag track and my best was a 15.2 at 97 mph. i was driving my 9000 aero with 3inch turbo back exhaust. i think if i launched better i could do a high 14. i didnt lanuch it well at all. o well better luck next time. i was pretty happy though when an s4 with really nice looking exhaust (all i could tell he had for sure) ran a 15.3.

ben

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
saab_family said:
just got back from a drag track and my best was a 15.2 at 97 mph. i was driving my 9000 aero with 3inch turbo back exhaust. i think if i launched better i could do a high 14. i didnt lanuch it well at all. o well better luck next time. i was pretty happy though when an s4 with really nice looking exhaust (all i could tell he had for sure) ran a 15.3.

ben
When your car was new Motor Trend managed a 14.85 as I recall. I think some of the well modded 9kAeros can manage high 13 seconds.

But you have not bought a strip car; any healthe V8 Mustang can eat you for lunch at the strip or lights. Laws of physics, of FWD, are a big limiting factor.

What the 9k Aero was built for is cruising, from 70 to 150mph. Where it is very impressive on acceleration is in 4th gear from 85mph up. You can keep up with some pretty good modern cars from 85 to 145mph. Germans that know what a 9k Aero is repect their autobahn performance capabilities, especially a modified version.

Do a search, I think "Ice Man" was into serios 9k drag racing.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Car and Driver 1993 9000 Aero performance statisticsEngine/TransHpTorqueWeightPower to Weight Ratio0-60 mph0-100 mph1/4 MileTop SpeedBraking, 70-0 mph2.3L 4cyl turbo /5sp225 @ 5500258 @ 2000321814.36.2s15.9s14.8 @ 96mph149mph177ftHere is what a stock new Aero could do on USA fuel in 1993.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Let me try again: New Aero stock performance on 1993 level tires and USA gas

Car and Driver 1993 9000 Aero performance statistics

HP [email protected]
torque 258 at 2000
Weight 3218
0-60 6.2s (in 1993 this was rather quick, 911 of that era was 5.8s)
0-100 15.9s
1/4 mile 14.8s at 96mph
top spreed 149mph
braking 70-0 177ft

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if aeros can do a 14.8 with a pro driver im pretty happy with a 15.2. last night was my frist time ever at a drag strip. im only 17 so i have time to learn. and im at 5280feet abot sea levle. so only a .4 second difference, i can live with that. and i dont know how to luanch very well. i bet with practice ill get into the 14's easy

ben

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
talked to my dad today and it looks like were gong to build an aero drag car. we just got a 1993 green aero that has 230,000 on the clock and has a blown tranny. were gong to gut it and build it up. is there any one that has experence in building super high horsepower 9000's??? were thinking of a goal of 500 at the wheels. what whould it take?? im guessing new pistons, huge turbo, stronger axels, lsd, stronger tranny, ect. about that tranny repair, i know. my third gear sincro is going out. i know a good mechanic though, lol, my dad owns a shop that speicalizes in saabs. he has been working on them for 20 years. any help/advice would be great, were going to need it!! i know building a drag saab isnt going to be cheap compaired to say a american v8, but were looking for something different. how much would it take to do this?? could it be done for arround $8,000??? i have no idia all what it takes but it will be an adventure.

thanks in advanced

ben

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im highly doubting it could be done for 8k, the fact that you would need a fully built trans, which probably would be around 4k in itself, then upgradded turbo, software, head work, cams, intake, exaust, possibly pistons. Your looking at quite a bit, especially when you consider in all the things you over look, ic piping, couplers, clutch, some miscellanous wear items. It adds up quick. But Id say around 10-15k atleast.

·
Registered
49 Posts
BTW, at sea level, and with a better launch youd be running low 14s high 13's. My spg with stock exhaust, stock dp, and stock airbox, running around 14-15psi ran a 15.3 at 90mph.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a lot of the stuff that you mentioned spg dude, i can get for a lot cheaper than most people can because of my dads connections. he knows a lot of fabracators and such that we can get stuff for a LOT cheaper than most. example: dads friend just made custom mandrel bent three inch tubo back exhaust with high flow cat for $400. i think i need to get a list of stuff i will need and check with all his friends. what turbo would i use to get close to 500hp??? what about if i did 400hp???

ben

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If it is just a drag strip car, and not a street car, you have more options.

One potentially cheaper approach might be to use 'disposable' trans and blocks, and feed it some boost and nitro. If set-up correctly you might get fantastic power for a few hours, or minutes, or seconds but set some great strip times IF you can spend a lot of effort on finding traction.

Do keep us posted on what you do.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kevin c, you said that you think aeros are fastest from 85mph on. mine is diffently the fastest from a 40mph roll. 3rd and 4th gear is is really slow. is there something wrong with my car??? we got it for cheap and it needed work, can you guess whats wrong with it?? i was suprised when i got it on the high way for the first time because everyone said that aeros "sweet spot" is in higher speeds. mine is a dog at high speeds. third gear flat out sucks. what could be wrong with my car??

ben

·
Banned
637 Posts
Well.. there certainly IS something wrong there .. which begs the question of How did you get those 1/4 mile times ??.. Not likely possible with that boost problem.
As for building a Drag car :) Saab is rather poor choice of vehicles Son.
Besides most any body can twist the Boost to foolish levels.. it's rather easy. Real trick is to build a trans that survives more than a couple of Runs.. Few if any have managed that one.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont think i have a boost problem, becasue the gage goes to the same place, 3rd and 4th just are not nearly as fast as 2ed. im not lying on my time or speed, i can email you a scan of my time slip if u want. i ran six runs best being a 15.2 worst being a 15.9. i know a 9000 wont be the easiest drag car to build, but i want a drag saab. i want something unique. it would be a good car to put my dads shop on the side of as well. maby a more obtanible goal is 400. if i get it light enough, with 400 it should fly.

ben

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just talked with my dad about how it should be fast in higher gears. he guessed that maby its an old fule pump thats getting weak?? could that make it loose power in higher gears. i think its the ornigal fule pump and it has 170,000 miles on it. could a new fule pump solve my problem??

ben

·
Registered
44 Posts
I suggest not running your car at the dragway... I was ripping my car with a caravan on saabs and lost my tranny, and its a manual.. Trannys are weak on saabs, and thats no secrect, so if this is your everyday car, take care of it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is diffently NOT going to be my daily driver/everyday car. i have two aeros, the one that might need a fule pump is my daily driver and once i get to a stage 3, im done with that one. i have a second aero thats just sitting, that would be a gutted drag car. like no carpet, one race seat, cage, plexiglass windows, not a dily driver at all. the car is just sitting there, so i figure we might as well do something cool with it. if the tranny shreds, well get another one. is there any way to stregthen the trannys, i know saab ones suck.

ben

·
Banned
637 Posts
Well you are obviously Young and hopefully your spelling is not indicative of your capacity.
Saab boxes really do 'suck' they shift painfully slowly, their bearings are weak and to add insult the axles and joints explode rather dramatically under hard launches. Seriously look elswhere.. a civic for example can be made to be much faster reliably for a fraction of the cost.
Ever wonder WHY there are no Saabs racing competetively??

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry for using a youth oriented word. I would say that I am very capable considering I have a decent amount of knowledge about Saabs and my father has vast experience. you obviously don’t know Saab performance if your trying to tell me that there are NO competitive drag Saabs. i know they are not very common, but they are defiantly out there. look at www.nordictuning.com and watch some to the videos. there a quite a few impressive drag Saabs. I don’t understand why everyone is being so negative towards my idea. I thought that you guys would be positive and helpful, wrong. your discouraging but i think ill try it before i give up.

ben

1 - 20 of 25 Posts