SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired my 99 9-3 not too long ago and until recently lived in a SAAB fairytale land where everything was peachy. I had done some DIY maintenance which included replacing:
oil(mobil 1)& filter
spark plugs
fuel filter
air filter
cabin filter
Vacuum hoses(silicone)

I went to the local store and when I tried to start my car it shook violently, then dead, tried again and it wouldn't start. Popped the hood and smelled a burnt smell. Immediately got on my phone and searched the forums, I figured out it was the DIC.

When it came time to take off the old one and put a new one in I decided to check the date.
9807(I have one of the Early 9-3's I'm assuming)
I'm surprised it lasted this long. Bought two newer ones, one from 04 and 06. Hopefully I won't have to worry about this for a while and I have a spare now.

Should I replace the spark plugs? When I start the car it sometimes vibrates and doesn't start up as seamlessly as I'd like.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
How many miles are on the car? It could be possible that the previous owner bought a used DIC and put it in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98,7xx currently.
After an overview of the car it seems as most of the car is original stock minus the things i changed. From what I know the previous owner just did the oil changes and tuneup.

Still doesn't change the age of the DIC.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That seems to be about the right mileage for the DIC's life span, I don't think age is a big factor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That seems to be about the right mileage for the DIC's life span, I don't think age is a big factor.
From the complaints about the DIC that I've read for some they seem to crap out a bit quicker.

Don't know how old the fuel filter was but the banjo bolts were rusted on there pretty good when I changed it. I don't think the cabin filter had ever been changed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts