SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOT time again and the usual smoke test fail. Everything else OK. Advisory "rust" LOL.

Limit on plate 0.5%. Limit with no plate 3%. She's running 0.7%.......:(

Air and fuel filter change plus injector cleaner = no change.

EGR, throttle body and MAP = Ecological disaster! Full of black carbon gunk. MAP plugged. Hopefully this will solve it. She was de-flapped a couple years ago and IC and all stupid breather pipes are airtight. The BSR remap still works fine and she gets mid 40s MPG or more if on a day out. 50MPG is just possible. 0-60 remains around 9 seconds on auto box and upgraded brakes plus Aero roll bars etc all hanging together.

I have not superseded the max loading for a while - 1 fridge freezer, 1 washing machine, a bag of plaster, 1 sack barrow and a steel shed kit on the roof. 2 greyhounds, their beds, bowls, food, toys etc, roofbox, holiday packing, barbecue, sea-fishing gear (beachcasters), missus and hairdrier and associated stuff is normal.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What is this “plate” of which you write? EGR blanking?

Interesting how the EGR stuff cars are lumbered with to reduce emissions ends up contributing to them via reduced efficiency, when it inevitably clogs up. I wonder how many owners bother cleaning it out. I had it on my 2.2 TiD, was advised to stop driving it like an old person, started thrashing it a bit, and kept it much cleaner in exchange for a 3% consumption penalty.

Good luck on the test. I’m sure you’ll take it out for a thrash first. Mine is tomorrow too (petrol Aero) and it will be well warmed up and exercised beforehand.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plate is inside the door frame and gives the emissions limit for my car. It'll be on yours somewhere unless its a really old one.

I had a 2.2 and that had no trouble with the EGR. There was no DPF and a lot less power available though. Possibly the noisiest diesel engine fitted to a car? I heard one coming along Scarborough front one day, looked and round and yes it was a 2.2. Like an old open cowl vintage tractor clattering along.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She has now finally passed the emissions test. 0.3% on the first try. The reason for success is in the photo.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts