SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what my dealership charges for the 5,000 mile service. Is this too much? I have no problem paying the $120 if I am getting my money's worth. Thanks.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, a 5K mi. service would just be an oil change and tire rotation, right? If so, you could save some money by doing it yourself.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ask them what it involves. I didn't even think there was such a thing as a 5,000 mile service on these cars. All I can think is that they are providing an oilchange and inspection of other major areas. There really can't be much to do!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
According to my service schedule booklet, the 5,000 mile service entails the following:

- Check engine gaskets & seals for leaks
- Change engine oil & filter
- Check & top up all fluid levels
- Inspect belts and adjust, if needed
- Inspect tires for wear
- Inspect steering & suspension
- Inspect wiper blades and replace, if needed
- Check chassis & body nuts & bolts fir tightness
- Inspect all safety lights
- Inspect air cleaner element
- Inspect cooling system
- Check battery & clean terminals
- Inspect exhaust system for leaks
- Rotate tires and adjust air pressure
- Inspect brakes & clean, if needed
- Check body hinges & locks & lube
- Road test vehicle for noises or vibrations

Is all of the above worth $120?

·
Registered
193 Posts
black_linear said:
I didn't even think there was such a thing as a 5,000 mile service on these cars. All I can think is that they are providing an oilchange and inspection of other major areas. There really can't be much to do!

True. The recommended oil change interval is approximately 15,000 miles, or when your oil life monitor says so. I had my oil changed at 7500 miles(I split the difference on the "recommended" first oil change), and paid approximately $50, a not unreasonable price considering the cost of our oil. An oil change and tire rotation for $120 sounds a little steep to me....

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, it's not worth paying. The only thing that might be a bother doing yourself is inspecting the belts and doing the tire rotation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your car has bumper to bumper warranty. There should be NO charge for any inspection during that warranty period. The only exception would be for an oil change not required by the SID.

·
Banned
975 Posts
cathanas said:
Your car has bumper to bumper warranty. There should be NO charge for any inspection during that warranty period. The only exception would be for an oil change not required by the SID.
What he said, first time i took my car in was 12,500 miles. I had it inspected, oil change, tires rotated, etc. I paid 20 dollars I forgot what it was for, but for 20 dollars I didnt really care because it was worth the money, noticable difference driving it after.

·
Registered
846 Posts
cathanas said:
Ditto - I am surprised you are being charged for any scheduled maintenance under 36k miles. Is there another dealer in your area?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Warranty Difference

Her is an example of the different free of charge services that you have in the U.S. vis a vis France. I did my first oil change today at 6,000 miles today. I bought 6 litres of Mobil 1,the necesary tools with the 32 mm and the oil filter total cost at discount shops but the right goods 140 USD. Had I gone to the dealer !!!! Yes our warranties are different. Here I pay a higher purchase price, there is a 19.6% sales tax, only 2 years warranty and services at my expense and dream on for the labor or spare parts cost....;oops:
But I love my Saab and will continue to be an ex-pat in France.
Tomorrow Canadian Grand Prix......:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Viscouse said:
What happened to free scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs/36000 miles?
According to my service manual, the no-charge service is at 10K, 20K and 30K miles. As a matter of fract, my dealership has stamped "no charge" in the service manual at these intervals. Does this sound correct? Every 10K miles free? How does this work with other dealerships out there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts