SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just looking for some suggestions on what I should be checking for my trip.
She's running okay now, and I've recently done trans and oil, so that's good to go.
I just ordered new vac hoses, and will be installing a trans mount tonight or tomorrow. Timing belt is pretty new, serpentine looks to be in good condition. No major leaking at the moment (Though I do have one that comes and goes oddly enough...)
Tires and brakes are excellent condition.

Anything I'm missing?

btw, going from Carbondale, IL to Detroit, MI
If anyone is on the way I could make a stop.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How many miles on car?

Common component failures are:
1. Fuel pump
2. DIC
3. CPS

Generally all three of these will exhibit warning signs before failure, but having a spare DIC in the trunk on a long trip is good insurance. I had a spare DIC and a spare Fuel Pump on my last long trip.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on car?

Common component failures are:
1. Fuel pump
2. DIC
3. CPS

Generally all three of these will exhibit warning signs before failure, but having a spare DIC in the trunk on a long trip is good insurance. I had a spare DIC and a spare Fuel Pump on my last long trip.
127k miles on the v6.
CPS has been changed in the last 15k miles if the service records are to be believed. No DIC though. Maybe I'll call around to the nearby yards and see if someone has one. Any 99-09 from a v6 should swap in correct?

·
Registered
323 Posts
127k miles on the v6.
CPS has been changed in the last 15k miles if the service records are to be believed. No DIC though. Maybe I'll call around to the nearby yards and see if someone has one. Any 99-09 from a v6 should swap in correct?
The V6 was discontinued in 2004, IIRC, but yes, any 99-04 DIC swap would work.

Didn't realize yours was a V6. I'm currently looking for a spare V6 DIC myself. Good luck in your search, and be sure to get mileage on any DIC pulled from a yard. I wouldn't pay a dime for a DIC with over 100k on, personally. I'm hoping to buy new from GM Parts Department IF I can find out which one I need :roll:.

You can check your current DICs for cracking or burning smell, and they'll typically act up a bit before dying completely. Don't drop big bucks just to get one immediately if yours are fine, but it's something you should get eventually.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If you haven't changed your fuel pump motor by 127K, you're driving on borrowed time, expect it to fail when you need it the most. The other part that can only be trusted to 100K miles is your Coolant Bypass Valve. Both of these parts will leave you stranded if not swapped out at 100K miles.
Former SIU grad here....love Carbondale.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Sounds like you have most things covered.

Tire pressures on all (5) five tires? Make sure car speed and cargo weight correspond to tire psi.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been browsing my service records more thoroughly.

DIC replaced at 70k miles (This was a $600 parts line, so I'm guessing they did both? It's not noted if it was front or back...)
Timing belt done at 91k miles
both DICs replaced again at 110k miles
And lucky me, fuel pump was done in April!
on 3/28 of this year, at 124k miles:
*Throttle Pos switch
*Head Gasket
*injector #1
*spark plugs
*machine work
*resurfacing
*2 new valves
*timing belt
*IM gasket
*lower rad hose
*plenum gasket
*oil cooler line

The head gasket worries me a little, but I've put almost 3k miles on it since I've bought it, and haven't had any issues aside from losing a sensor seal, and what I think is the rear valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Been browsing my service records more thoroughly.

DIC replaced at 70k miles (This was a $600 parts line, so I'm guessing they did both? It's not noted if it was front or back...)
Timing belt done at 91k miles
both DICs replaced again at 110k miles
And lucky me, fuel pump was done in April!
on 3/28 of this year, at 124k miles:
*Head Gasket
*machine work
*resurfacing
*2 new valves
*timing belt
Sounds like the timing belt broke at 90K. They would need to pull the head(headgasket) and replace any damaged valves.

Hopefully they replaced the tensioner and idler pully on the timing belt too. Check the records to see if they were done.

I don't know if the recall is still active, but GM replaced certian DIC's including the V6's. I got 2 new ones from them free, but that was a few years ago.

The only other thing to potentially break is the alternator. Mine went at 140K.

Normally mine runs like a top. I live in PA and it has been to Canada, Maine, Florida, Indiana and it has always been a great highway car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the timing belt broke at 90K. They would need to pull the head(headgasket) and replace any damaged valves.

Hopefully they replaced the tensioner and idler pully on the timing belt too. Check the records to see if they were done.

I don't know if the recall is still active, but GM replaced certian DIC's including the V6's. I got 2 new ones from them free, but that was a few years ago.

The only other thing to potentially break is the alternator. Mine went at 140K.

Normally mine runs like a top. I live in PA and it has been to Canada, Maine, Florida, Indiana and it has always been a great highway car.
One of the notes had the alternator, and some cabling on it (I'm guessing the serpentine belt broke at some point). But I do not remember the mileage.

Hoping my hoses get here this weekend so I can replace all of them and the mount at the same time.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If your alternator got replaced, they may have replaced the positive battery cable while they were at it, it's known to get corroded at the battery terminal end. The PO of your car sure spent a lot of cash, they must have been quite frustrated when the timing belt broke.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Indeed. Any all the service was done by either the Saab dealer, or the volvo dealer. So they paid top dollar for everything.

The guy I bought the car from was the second owner. He got it for free from the original owner after the timing belt went, and he had an indy do all of the work, and still ended up making a little profit off of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Think about changing the fuel pump. Mine went at 120K with no warning on a long trip which was not fun. :roll: If you bring a spare on your trip, make sure you have a tool to remove the large ring nut that holds it in. There are posts on how to make your own tool from a large plastic pipe adapter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts