SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the 15k service and my dealer says I have about 9k miles left on my brakes and that I will have to replace the rotors along with the pads. Isn't $1000 for a stock brake job a rip? Can't I get slotted rotors with nice pads for about the same price doing it myself?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Most likely can, from a performance to cost perspective, the dealership/OEM route is always a rip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
$1000 brake job

My dealer fed me the same line and price. I was able to have my rotors machined (still within spec...even though the dealer said it was impossible) and rear pads replaced by Midas for a much cheaper price. That was about 4500 miles ago and it still seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
econ said:
My dealer fed me the same line and price. I was able to have my rotors machined (still within spec...even though the dealer said it was impossible) and rear pads replaced by Midas for a much cheaper price. That was about 4500 miles ago and it still seems to be working fine.
Dealer price for rear rotors for a Vector for example is $70
Front ones about $100 - and these are the bigger Vector/Aero setup.
Another $40 bucks for pads x2 =80

So you are looking at $420 in parts and you can it yourself in about 2 hours

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Check some of the aftermarket parts places for SAABs. You should be able to buy the parts for a few hundred dollars to do both front and back. If you are the least bit handy with tools and can follow directions, it is a pretty straightforward task.

Also, it is a little uncommon for both the front and the back brakes to need to be done at the same time. Normally the fronts wear out quicker. if the back brakes aren't bad, you can just do the fronts and then do the backs later.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Check before paying..

OneMnk said:
I just had the 15k service and my dealer says I have about 9k miles left on my brakes and that I will have to replace the rotors along with the pads. Isn't $1000 for a stock brake job a rip? Can't I get slotted rotors with nice pads for about the same price doing it myself?
First of all DONT believe him.. There is no way your rotors or what I call disks can be used so soon. Just rub your finger at the edge and you will feel a slight lip but nothing much. Have friend who know some mechanics check this with you and maybe you will see that you need to change the pads.. If this is the case do it yourself with your friend, you will get to know the car better, it's not difficult, few tools and just a little know how. Forget the back brakes... there is no way that they can be used.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had my Pads and Rotors done by dealer...

Paid just over $1000 for all for pads and rotors. I drove them to the point that they were all grinding crazy bad. If your car isnt grinding, it should be less than that, otherwise, pricing is right, expect to pay close to $1000 to replace all 4 rotors and pads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the special tool they use besides a c-clamp to compress the pistons? And when I replace the rotors should I just get some saab replacement ones and same with brake pads or get some green stuff pads or something.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Real need to change or money to burn?

OneMnk said:
Whats the special tool they use besides a c-clamp to compress the pistons? And when I replace the rotors .
To change the pads you will need an allen key and am not sure that you need a c-clamp just something to lever them home.

Have you checked about the real need to change the front rotors? On my previous '98 9-3 I changed them at 60,000 miles and could have had them machined. And as for the rear rotors :suprised; you really must have money to burn.

Please have someone check this for you. Just take one front wheel off and check the wear, in fact with our wheels you can see through the spokes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts