SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is buying a 2006 9-5 sport combi and it has 10 more hp then my 2002 9-5 Aero. Same I4 engine. What did Saab do to get an additional 10hp? Well the real question is, how can I get 10 more hp out of my aero? I hate being out horse powered by my son.LOL

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My son is buying a 2006 9-5 sport combi and it has 10 more hp then my 2002 9-5 Aero. Same I4 engine. What did Saab do to get an additional 10hp? Well the real question is, how can I get 10 more hp out of my aero? I hate being out horse powered by my son.LOL
i can only speculate as to how my dad feels driving the 9-3 linear 2004 (175hp), and me driving the beast 9-5 aero :cheesy:.

the 10 hp comes from the aero overboost function, and i think its safe to say the 250hp and 260hp versions are going to be equally as fast. the 2000-2001 aeros are just as fast as the 2002+ aeros, they just didnt have an accurate HP rating from the factory, really (supposedly 230hp).

if you really wanted to, im sure you can have someone just tweak the maps to match the 2006+ models, but like i said, youre not gonna notice a difference in either. if youre gonna tune the ECU, go ALL THE WAY and get some USEABLE hp out of it.

BTW: if yours is a sedan you have about 150 lbs on your sons car, which theoretically would make you just about even on power to weight ratio :cheesy: If your son is anything like me though, he will be tuning up and modding just as fast as he can to make sure he has more HP than his old man

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i can only speculate as to how my dad feels driving the 9-3 linear 2004 (175hp), and me driving the beast 9-5 aero :cheesy:.

the 10 hp comes from the aero overboost function, and i think its safe to say the 250hp and 260hp versions are going to be equally as fast. the 2000-2001 aeros are just as fast as the 2002+ aeros, they just didnt have an accurate HP rating from the factory, really (supposedly 230hp).

if you really wanted to, im sure you can have someone just tweak the maps to match the 2006+ models, but like i said, youre not gonna notice a difference in either. if youre gonna tune the ECU, go ALL THE WAY and get some USEABLE hp out of it.

BTW: if yours is a sedan you have about 150 lbs on your sons car, which theoretically would make you just about even on power to weight ratio :cheesy: If your son is anything like me though, he will be tuning up and modding just as fast as he can to make sure he has more HP than his old man
From what it looks like, he has the Aero and his son got the non-aero sport combi. The Overboost is on the Manual Aero's. If you have an automatic, I don't believe you get the overboost. I'm not sure why his says he has 10 more horse.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
From what it looks like, he has the Aero and his son got the non-aero sport combi. The Overboost is on the Manual Aero's. If you have an automatic, I don't believe you get the overboost. I'm not sure why his says he has 10 more horse.
The newer cars ahve the larger ( King cobra ) intake pipe, larger snorkle and the newer freee flow paper filter ( that replaced all elements for saab now)

That's the 10 right there

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,guys. I guess I have to learn to live--10HP SHORT.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks,guys. I guess I have to learn to live--10HP SHORT.
if you can get past the numbers- like i said youre not gonna be able to notice any discernable difference in speed between the two.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Along with those changes stated, there may well be a slight difference to the turbo inlet diameter too, at the joint to the housing, and an ECU change to suit. Putting the larger snorkel on can really give a boost to earlier 9-5s and is a very good mod. If you can get one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts