SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 9-3 base hatchback with 174,000 miles. Begin to stutter at idle, then when up to speed. Have a P0301 and P1301 code (#1 cylinder misfire detected).

#1 plug electrode was pretty much demolished. Looks to have been subjected to a high amount of heat. Other plugs are in perfect condition. Newer DIC.

Replaced plugs, cleared codes, and car ran great for a very few miles then begin to miss badly again with a flashing CEL. Barely running (like on 3 cylinders). Haven't done a compression check yet.

Could a faulty DIC destroy a plug like this? Or does this sound like an internal #1 cylinder issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
A few questions come to mind, were they the correct plugs to begin with ?,how long have they been in there,? when you say demolished , does that mean pitted away or actually broken into small bits like hitting the piston? ,compression test would be in order and possible a new DIC especially if it was throwing mis codes. Disclaimer, this is just my opinion and would be the course of action I would take to resolve it. I have no problem throwing good money after bad to keep the Saabs alive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, just pulled the new plugs with only 10 miles on them and #1 is already blackned a bit (not oily wet, but dry) while the others are still clean . Can't do a competent compression check until I get an extension for my compression checker. The plug recess in the head is too damn deep. I'm suspecting the worst (valve, rings, piston). Thanks for your insights... much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
that indication may also be from lack of firing!! is the DIC an original ? how old or I should say how many miles under it? if its an aftermarket throw it away and get a SEM. NGK unit. (original) but would still do the compression test.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few questions come to mind, were they the correct plugs to begin with ?,how long have they been in there,? when you say demolished , does that mean pitted away or actually broken into small bits like hitting the piston? ,compression test would be in order and possible a new DIC especially if it was throwing mis codes. Disclaimer, this is just my opinion and would be the course of action I would take to resolve it. I have no problem throwing good money after bad to keep the Saabs alive.
Thanks for your response. Yes, correct plugs... I've had this car and an '02 SE for over 10 years now so pretty familiar with it. Plug electrode was melted (like high heat in combustion chamber). DIC is virtually brand new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that indication may also be from lack of firing!! is the DIC an original ? how old or I should say how many miles under it? if its an aftermarket throw it away and get a SEM. NGK unit. (original) but would still do the compression test.
It is an aftermarket DIC (good OEM used ones that don't throw codes are getting harder to find). But like jvanabra mentioned above, a DIC cannot destroy a plug.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would guess it is a clogged injector, if only one of the cylinders is burning hot enough to melt a plug.

Also, are all of the plugs BCPR7ES?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would guess it is a clogged injector, if only one of the cylinders is burning hot enough to melt a plug.

Also, are all of the plugs BCPR7ES?
I had NKG BCPR6EIX-11 (4919) - the iridium upgrade - but just now switched back to the original NKG PFR6H-10 (6290). Thanks for the tip on the clogged injector! I'm not really up for tearing the engine apart right now. When I check the compression tomorrow (Wednesday), I'll know a lot more.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It is an aftermarket
NO NO NO, may not be the total problem but for your 10 years of driving have you been using aftermarket units? New is $215 so not ridicules like the ones for the T5 , changing a fuel injector especially #1 is not that bad and easily accessible

Reactions: jvanabra

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep... last Chinese DIC I will ever buy! Lasted 6K miles. I only bought it so I could get the car smogged and registered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts