SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an extra key FOB that came with the car, not programmed, so i only have one key right now

me: How much to program a key FOB?
dealership: its a long involved process, 1.5 hours of labor
me: nevermind...

What does it take to program a FOB? I figured it would be a simple tech II program, as long as i already had ONE key that worked. I am going to try a couple different places, but i was blown away by 1.5 hours of labor!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It is a simple Tech II process. It shouldn't take ten minutes. While I was picking my car up from service the other day another customer came in to get keys programmed and as I said before, it was about ten minutes (if that).

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Using the TechII involves going through multiple screens and menus. If the tech has never done the task before, he could easily spend much time searching through the system.

It once took a tech 90 minutes to enable AUX-IN for me. This is just for activation, no hardware involved.

AFAIK, there are is no formal training on the TechII. Nor are there step-by-steps available for the service dept to reference. Some dealers understandably worry about losing their shirts by undercharging for time.

I always liken the Tech2 to running DOS or the cmd prompt under Windows. It is a powerful tool and often the only one for the job, but comparitively few people really know how to use it.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Actually, Saab used to have extensive Tech II training online at www.saab-edu.com. This site uused to be goldmine for cool tech docs, but it was put behind the GM firewall about a year or so ago.

The training docs are still there -- just at gmtraining.com :cool:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
ctrlz said:
Using the TechII involves going through multiple screens and menus. If the tech has never done the task before, he could easily spend much time searching through the system.
If a Tech hasn't programmed keys on a 9-3 before he/she must be pretty new! :cheesy: To say it takes 1.5 hours, the service writer is ignorant, incompetent, or lazy (or all three).

Yes, the Tech II is complex but there are certain functions that should be expected from someone who works on Saabs all day long - things like resetting the service due indicator and programming keys. Other not-so-common tasks like setting door lock functions or changing the tire size I would expect to take a bit longer. In fact, the service writer should be able to perform some of the simpler, more common tasks so a technician doesn't need to be bothered with them (as was the case at my dealer, the SW programmed the keys in the case that I witnessed).

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
mike saunders said:
The training docs are still there -- just at gmtraining.com :cool:
I guess you have to find a tech willing to do a web search. I believe GM is encouraging service depts to switch to the online TIS (TIS2WEB), but most still use the CD-ROM-based TIS2000 which continues to be supported.

Whatever system is in place it is perceived as way too confusing. A Saab salesman who posts here told me a few months ago that Saab had hoped to train sales staff on the more common Tech2 options, so the car wouldn't need a full "service" appt to reprogram the door locks. This idea crashed and burned.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My old Mondeo only had one key.

To get another sorted (I had the blank fob) would have cost me £150 :evil:

If I had TWO keys and wanted a third cut and programming, cost was next to nothing.

I never did get the second key sorted, I just left the blank in the wallet when I part Ex'd it for my Saab lol :p

It may not be a Tech2 training issue, but more an electronic issue of only having one key to start with.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The Tech II isn't that hard to learn, it holds your hand throughout everything. In fact, about the only thing it DOESN'T do is wipe your @$$ for you.
1.5 is ridiculous.
Warranty pays .5 and it's damn near the easiest .5 you can make.

Anyone here able to trick the Tech II into playing Pong?:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sptsdn said:
Yes, the Tech II is complex but there are certain functions that should be expected from someone who works on Saabs all day long - things like resetting the service due indicator and programming keys.
Thats what i figured. If your a Saab mechanic, you should know how to work the equipment. Nuff said.

I called around and found another dealership that will do it for $45. He said it takes 30mins. I still think thats a little outrageous, but i guess thats what you get with these FOBs. I have no idea, because i've never used the system. :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think dealers don't (or at least they shouldn't) "guess" required labor hours from sky, I think all standard operations lenght are set by SAAB (or any other car manufacturer). If in workshop manual has been said: this operation needs 1 hour- they work on it 3 hours or 0.5 hours, customer have to pay for 1 hour.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
saabexprt said:
Not to out the dealer but I'd be curious to know which Ky dealer is quoting that kind of labor for a pretty simple task.
From my understanding there are only 2 places in Lexington that have Tech II abilities. Quantrell Saab, European Motorsports. I'm not going to out anybody...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your Dealer sucks. The service manager programed my locks right in the service bay in a couple minutes. NO CHARGE. I say if the tech. doesnt know how to use the tech II, he should be doing tire changes at goodyear or sears. If you work at a saab dealer and cant run a simple programming device... you should get a new trade.. IMO this is not rocket science...

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Reinertsen Saab in NJ does any Tech II work gratis if your in for Service, I also purchased there. Took about 20 min for them to reprogram 3 keys for me a while back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.