SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, apologies if this has been covered or is a known thing—I'm new to "new" Saabs. I did some searching, but didn't pull anything up in the archives...

Anyway, I've read a lot about the P0089 code on the 2.8t—how many of you have driven for a long while with it, and others have replaced the expensive and hard-to-find fuel pump. I have a weird question about it.

I recently moved to SF, and started taking my car ('08 Combi Aero 2.8t manual) to a local, reputable, shop. They are quite good (and expensive). The first time I brought the car in, the mechanics fawned over it—who can blame them. It's a wonderful car.

Then, one of the guys pulled my wife aside and warned her not to let the gas go below a quarter tank because it could lead to electrical problems.

Being the dutiful husband, I ignored this advice the very next tank. And then the check engine light came on. Pulled the code: P0089. I did some research, freaked the hell out about how this fuel pump was going to cost me a limb if I could even find one, and kept driving while keeping a lookout for the part on eBay, expecting it to go at any time.

After the code popped, of course, I was doing everything right. I kept the tank high, sacrificed a chicken to the Saab gods, etc. And then the light went out about a month later. I got cocky, and, a few months after that, let the tank go below a quarter: pop goes the engine light. I filled it up, drove a bit, and then barely a week later it went off again.

So, a question: Is this a known thing? Does it mean that my fuel pump is fine and I should just keep the tank topped? (63K mi) Or does it still mean that I should be hawking eBay for a pump anticipating this part blowing any day?

Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just ONE 1/4 tank acceleration up a downtown SF hill is probably enough to suck air for a split second. Ive also seen P0089s (low pressure) thrown for weak battery/low voltage situations as well.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Hard to imagine low fuel would set this code off but who knows. I typically run right down to near empty and never had an issue until last week (98,000 mi.) and my '06 (93,000 mi.) never had the issue.

I data logged after the P0089 came on Vtuner(Brian) said he could see a reduced fuel flow.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: light came on again, then the flashing light. I now am the proud owner of a new fuel pump. Gulp, that wasn't cheap.

I'm still having some of the problems I thought were caused by the pump, though. Namely, at highway speeds, when I'm already going fast in 6th, if I floor it, the car kind of shimmies and takes a second to accelerate.

I had originally thought this was ignition coils, because I had some other idle probs with them too. Those are all new now.

Then I had a sinking feeling it was the fuel pump... well, several hundred dollars later, I have a new one of those too.

Is this just a characteristic of the car? Maybe turbo lag?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
OK mine was diagnosed as having a bad fuel pump so getting that replaced tomorrow with a genuine Saab one. Guessing it's the same as the e-europarts one but this is going thru a 3rd party extended warranty and I don't trust them in getting a new correct part so I'm paying the $225 difference between what they authorized and the Saab pump.

Hopefully this will help with knock retard and I can put back my full 93 octane Vtuner Tune;ol;

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I've ran my car to about 2 gallons from empty (~1/8 tank) with no lights coming on. I believe when it gets too low though the car can start misfiring.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Update: light came on again, then the flashing light. I now am the proud owner of a new fuel pump. Gulp, that wasn't cheap.

I'm still having some of the problems I thought were caused by the pump, though. Namely, at highway speeds, when I'm already going fast in 6th, if I floor it, the car kind of shimmies and takes a second to accelerate.

I had originally thought this was ignition coils, because I had some other idle probs with them too. Those are all new now.

Then I had a sinking feeling it was the fuel pump... well, several hundred dollars later, I have a new one of those too.

Is this just a characteristic of the car? Maybe turbo lag?
6th gear is not a passing gear/racing gear. The ratio is .71:1 If you were racing you would likely never leave 5th unless you were on the verge of 130+ if even then.

Go out and get in your car, get up to about 20 and then put it in 4th and floor it. You will likely see the same result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts