SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a very wet 1/4 mile trial at Shakespeare Raceway, I went along with my mate (who has a 2003 Pro-Drive WRX) with about 30 other cars.

We eventually got on teh track at about 1:30pm after arriving at 9am!!!

Anyway, I got 5 runs on a wet strip, which meant that the wheels went very fast on the spot at seach line up!!!

Points of the day were:
1) I managed to get through the 1/4 at 99.15mph :D
2) Best time for me was 15.2 secs :)
3) My mates WRX beat me :(

So, if I could have got a decent start I would have been over 100mph and required to wear a helmet (which I didnt have!!!)

I need to learn how to launch!!

All in all a good days fun tho!! :cheesy:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Below is my best top-speed run, unfortunatly the car next to me stalled on the line so it was a single car run.

This is my best time run which was vs. a Skyline GTR and I was close to him in the 2nd half of the strip, the usual story of getting battered from the line tho!!!!

My run vs my mates WRX, which I lost!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Your trap speed is higher than my personal best but your time is a bit slower keep practicing your launch and maybe losing a few extra bits from the car youll probably be able to beat the wrx... and you'll probably need a helmet

when do you shift? J/W

·
Registered
333 Posts
i was able to get a 14.8 @ 96 mph with my car. with the mods on your car you should be faster then me... i went from 15.2's the first weekend to high 14's the second. launching good is essential along with good shifts.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
wet track the wrx had a big advantage

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lowbudgethero said:
Your trap speed is higher than my personal best but your time is a bit slower keep practicing your launch and maybe losing a few extra bits from the car youll probably be able to beat the wrx... and you'll probably need a helmet

when do you shift? J/W

The damp track caused me problems all day long in 1st gear, but when I was motoring noting (including the Skyline) got away.

My peak power is 6400rpm, so thats where I was shifting, not lifting off just a quick as I could change, went through the trap in 3rd just over 6000rpm.

1st gear change from 1st to 2nd at 30mph
2nd gear cheange from 2nd to 3rd at 65mph

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sap said:
i was able to get a 14.8 @ 96 mph with my car. with the mods on your car you should be faster then me... i went from 15.2's the first weekend to high 14's the second. launching good is essential along with good shifts.
Yeah I know I shoudl be at least with teh WRX, but traction from teh line was a *****!

My shifts were pretty good, no let off and as quick as I could get them!

I have to wait now till April for teh strips to re-open in dry weather (hopefully!!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bwell said:
sounds fun

You going to try it again soon on a Dry day?

Oooooh yeah!!!

Problem is being in England the weather is not going to be suitable until April and so the strips are closed until then.

I feel intercooler, intake and delivery pipes before then!!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
PM me next time your heading up there, i might pop over and watch, it's just down the road, maybe even run my NG900 aswell:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries fella, will do!
It'll most likely to be April now tho (with more power!!!) :D

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
You should look into getting a couple of spare wheels that you can fit some wide tyres to,+225 or something like that, turning circle in'st really important on a drag strip and they may give you a little more traction off the line!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Si said:
You should look into getting a couple of spare wheels that you can fit some wide tyres to,+225 or something like that, turning circle in'st really important on a drag strip and they may give you a little more traction off the line!
Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My car came with 225's and the torque steer and tramlining was horrendous - tramlining disapeared when when I went to 205 and torque steer was eliminated when I polybushed the rear axle. Your car is putting down 2bhp:lol: more than mine what's it like to hold in a straight line under full power?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not too bad, I have the steering rack clamp and brace and also poly bushes.Still, if I cruise along normally then boot it hard in 2nd at 40 there is a big fight to keep it straight tho! - Thats the fun!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Fun!!! - scared the s**t out of me when I did it first time;oops:. It used to stop me from overtaking anything on a B road as I didn't have enough room either side when it started to squirm. As I said - rear polybushes and that's thankfully history.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shirozina said:
Fun!!! - scared the s**t out of me when I did it first time;oops:. It used to stop me from overtaking anything on a B road as I didn't have enough room either side when it started to squirm. As I said - rear polybushes and that's thankfully history.
:lol: I maybe should get the rears... got the fronts done, but rears maybe will be next! ;)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
sooooooo close
Just so ya know, low 60's will net you a slower trap.

and, you dont' want to shift @ your peak HP, you want to shift so your up-shift puts you healthily in your HP curve.

Have fun, though!!!

I've only managed a 14.0.. and that's almost 3mph faster

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Why not pick up a couple of 16" steels and put some toyo proxies or similar semi-slick on, quite a few of the guys running track 900's use semi slicks and by all accounts they are the bee's knee's!

I'm sure the strip is wide enough to accomodate a bit of torque steer!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts