SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve been putting 5W-30 in my 900’s over the years - is it ok to use 0W-30 ? I ask because the usual stuff I use is a cheap generic Swedish brand - thought I might try some Shell stuff but 0W-30 is what they have on the shelf . Thanks

·
Registered
13,021 Posts
0W-30 is fine. Your generic might be fine too.
Don't pay more unless the oil ratings are better (or it's synthetic).
Have you had many oil-related failures?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had any oil-related failures - both the £60 Shell 0W-30 and £20 Biltema (Swedish brand) 10w-40 are fully synthetic - just want to do preventative maintenance and put the best stuff I can in - I do change quite regularly though so wonder if it matters.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and it’s predominantly for winter driving so maybe that’s a factor to consider ?

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I'll bet anything you buy in 2019 is better than what was available in the '70s when the engine was designed. :)

I do use synthetic, but mostly because of the turbo and because I have synthetic around necessarily for other cars. Even my '60s cars end up with synthetic.

·
Registered
13,021 Posts
Cool!
We haven't had an oil thread in a while... I'll keep it going.
I use Mobil 1 10w-30 or 10w-40 and change it religiously, whether it needs it or not, every 10,000 miles or once a year.
For me, using this strict regimen has prevented oil-related failures for decades.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Haha!

I have around 10 cars and drive about 9,000 miles per year. So I do ~1,000 mile oil changes on everything around June and have ZERO oil-related problems.

This year, I am not changing the oil in the motorhome but will take apart the filter next year before camping season and see what it looks like. It's a Wix XP filter and fully synthetic on the inside. If it looks good, I'll probably start changing the oil every 2,000 miles!

Also, I ONLY use motor oil. I never use cooking oil, vegetable oil, or baby oil. Only the best for me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never had any oil-related issues with any Saabs I’ve owned in 25 years but in the UK off the shelf oils were brands like Castrol, Shell and Mobile 1 so always trusted I was putting good stuff in at a reasonable price . Here in Sweden those brands usually have to be ordered online and are very expensive. So the compromise is using what everyone else does which is a nationwide chain car-parts store called Biltema that sell their own semi-synthetic and fully synthetic oils at a fraction of the cost of the equivalent Shell or Castrol brands - The Shell it Castrol stuff is like 600 Swedish crowns where the Biltema stuff is 200 - ( 63 US Dollars vs 22 US dollars) both brands sell the same rated oil so wonder if I’m just paying for a brand. Anyway the Swedes dont seem to care and buy this cheap stuff in droves but who cares when it’s a three-year lease car right ? I did have a mechanic here say not to bother with the Biltema stuff but I wonder if oil is just oil ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts