SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought four quarts of this stuff for winter here in eastern washington. Before I put it in do you guys think it may be too thin?

It get's down to 0degreesF sometimes durning the winter.

Thanks

Rogo

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rogozhin said:
I bought four quarts of this stuff for winter here in eastern washington. Before I put it in do you guys think it may be too thin?

It get's down to 0degreesF sometimes durning the winter.

Thanks

Rogo
I've been told to use 0w-40, and I live in Wisconsin where 0 degrees in the winter is very often, so I would say that yea, 0w-20 is too thin.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
The # that comes before the "w" is what you should worry about for winter as its the viscosity at the cold temperature. The number after the w is the viscosity after its warmed up to engine temp...

So a lower "W" number is thinner at start up to help the oil start circulating and protecting your engine faster. When the oils hot the 20 is going to be very thin and probably wont lubricate very well. A 40 hot will protect better, or 30, both are compatible.

At least thats what i've been lead to understand lol....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
boon94 said:
The # that comes before the "w" is what you should worry about for winter as its the viscosity at the cold temperature. The number after the w is the viscosity after its warmed up to engine temp...

So a lower "W" number is thinner at start up to help the oil start circulating and protecting your engine faster. When the oils hot the 20 is going to be very thin and probably wont lubricate very well. A 40 hot will protect better, or 30, both are compatible.

At least thats what i've been lead to understand lol....
a 20 wt wil lubricate very well, it just wont hold up with the type of temps our engines run.
Do not use a 20wt in a turbo car. Stick with a 5w40 or a 0w40. I would steer clear of Xxw30 oils too unless you know its a thick 30 wt. I run a 0w40 or a 5w40 all year round, and I see temps -35 - -50 with windchill and such. No issues at all and have great oil analysis to back them up.

again, dont use a 0w20 in your engine.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Lighter weight viscosity oils will provide superior mileage numbers but will not provide adequate protection to engines that run very hot, or that have high compression or forced induction. That pretty much totally eliminates it from consideration in our cars. Some manufacturers have been specing XW20 oils for their cars (none of which have the characteristics of the cars described above) and I believe this is often to help the manufacturer meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) stds. enacted pursuant to the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975 (P. L. 94-163). My wife and daughter both have Ford Foci vehicles now, and I changed them both over to 5W30 at the initial oil change. It is my belief that XW20 oil may be adequate for engine protection in many vehicles, but I am not taking the chance on it for longevity reasons. If manufacturers are recommending it primarily so they can raise their their CAFE numbers, as I have surmised, then one may reasonably question if that is the best thing for engine longevity, and may reasonably conclude that it is not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts