SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into purchasing an 09 SS AERO with 16k on it.

Is this the 280 hp or 255 hp version? its the V6 2.8L

Are there any issues with the XWD as it was the first year of availability?

Thanks, my 07 9-3 SS has served me well and I'm ready for another/upgrade!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It will be 280hp.
The XWD was offered in 2008. It has had issues such as leaking seals, diff failure, axle failure, transfer case failure. Hopefully not widespread, but there have been about a dozen or so failures that I know of. It is really good in the snow. It may not be worth the extra cost, worse fuel economy and risk of unrepairable failure, but that is entirely up to the individual.

Looking into purchasing an 09 SS AERO with 16k on it.

Is this the 280 hp or 255 hp version? its the V6 2.8L

Are there any issues with the XWD as it was the first year of availability?

Thanks, my 07 9-3 SS has served me well and I'm ready for another/upgrade!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Aspen.

When you say 12 defects, is this out of a sample size of like 40 or somewhere in the hundreds?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks, Aspen.

When you say 12 defects, is this out of a sample size of like 40 or somewhere in the hundreds?
I think he means 12 people he knows that have had problems.

I haven't had any yet (but my dealer told me there is that chance with the Turbo X). It's basically a prototype for the new XWD systems.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had the axle, rear diff and prop shaft replaced, although I don't think there was a problem with the diff. To be honest with you the way xwd works, you kind of forget its even there. Sometimes when I take of hard, it'll spin the fronts a little, just enough to make you realize the xwd just transferre the torque to the rear.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes it should be 280hp.
The drive system of the 09' is the same as the Turbo X.
My Turbo X is stock and has 77K miles and apart from regular servicing is completely original.
One thing I have noticed is that it hates mismatched tyres as it causes the chassis to twitch under heavy acceleration in the damp out of tight bends.
The handling is sure footed with matched tyres and whilst its a heavy car it surprises many other drivers...minimal understeer and you can accelerate much earlier through bends.
Junctions are hilarious but make use of the grip too often from a standstill and the clutch will soon tell you to catch yourself on.
The Auto box version is addictive from a junction but the manual needs a quick hand on the gears as 1st is fairly short.

The cars are great but as others have hinted at, the potential for something going wrong is always there.....that however could be said of any electrically or mechanically complex car.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Anyone ever seen/read a test of an XWD and FWD 9-3 back to back over the same roads? I would be interested in the comparo.

I haven't driven an XWD so can't comment about the performance side which does sound appealing. At the margin, the XWD has to be a safer car than the FWD. Subura has made a whole marketing campaign based on that fact.

The only issue is if you had a failure like Booster states then up for big $s outside of warranty. The Haldex system is very complex but then that is part of its appeal. By 2009, they should have started sorting out any initial issues at the factory.........

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Haldex systems have been around for a long time.

98 Volvo had Getrag but a year or two later went Haldex.

So, they have been in use in Swedemobiles since about 2000. Not exactly "new", the term "XWD" is Saab but how much difference from the varied generations of the Haldex is arguable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone,

I went to the dealer Sat and test drove. The dealership and car was shady. Glad I wasnt hyped up enough to loose my common sense and force a purchase.

FYI now im looking at either an 08 aero SC 2wd or an 08 Turbo x SC xwd, both from reputable dealers...

I started a new thread in regards to that... Thanks again

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Haldex systems have been around for a long time.

98 Volvo had Getrag but a year or two later went Haldex.

So, they have been in use in Swedemobiles since about 2000. Not exactly "new", the term "XWD" is Saab but how much difference from the varied generations of the Haldex is arguable.
While haldex is not new, the gen 4 system was new on the tx so it is nearly a prototype. Also the earlier haldexs were problematic and/or just poor performers. I think the tx will have more issues than normal, but I have already rolled the dice.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Almost 85thousan miles and counting on my TX. Autocrossed it, drove thru snow (3 feet) and daily drive it. I have bought the car brand new and in 3 years have not had one issue with the XWD.

I an a maintenance minded person who likes to get this done over the top so I follow strict guidelines for taking care of my car.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine had a leaking seal at the rear of the xfer case, and a recall for the breather hose on the diff, but those were done under warranty. Have 39K miles on my 2008 so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts