SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster on SC and on my third Saab (previously owned a '99 9-5 and '01 9-5 wagon).

I recently acquired a 2008 2.0T Convertible with the base GM HU, 150W/7 speakers. I was shocked to find such a bad unit in the car, given that my '99 had a really nice HK system as the base setup. It sounds like I have a clock radio on the dash . . .

I have been doing a lot of searching and reading on this forum about audio upgrades--unfortunately for me, the lion's share of information has to do with the 03-06 fiber system. I would appreciate it immensely is someone could supplement missing info/confirm my approach.

I have a plan for upgrading, and would like to ask a few questions for confirmation before I start ordering things. I had initially decided to replace the HU and speakers, but I have modified that plan to replace speakers, and install an amp and a cleansweep module. Doing this will allow me the latitude to replace the HU at some point in the future if I choose to. My plan (with questions along the way):

1. Dash speakers. Seems like the Boston Acoustic S35's are the way to go, and have been proven out by lots of folks. I also plan to disconnect the center dash channel.

2. Door speakers. Given that I am replacing the amp, I do not need to go the Infinity 2ohm route--can anybody recommend 4ohm 6.5" speakers that they are happy with that fit depth-wise?

3. Rear speakers. I am having trouble ascertaining what size the rear side speakers are in the convertible. Some say 4", some say 6.5"--can someone tell me which is accurate? If they are 6.5", I'll most likely use the same units I put in the front door.

4. Stock amp location. For the SS, the stock amp is under the driver's seat (US)--I've read that in the convertible, it's underneath the rear panel (by the rear speaker) on the passenger's side--but I believe this was a poster in UK. Am I correct in assuming that it's on the driver's side (US) in the rear?

5. JL Audio Cleansweep. This seems like a great way to go in terms of getting decent sound out of the stock HU. For those of you who have used this, have you fed it from the output from the HU or the output from the stock amp? I'd like to completely remove the stock amp from the equation and wire the HU direct. According to the Cleansweep Owner's Manual: "The OEM audio signals connected to the inputs of the CL441dsp must be full-range (20 Hz - 20kHz bandwidth) or very close to it." Does the unamped HU signal meet this requirement?

I plan to mount this in the panel next to the stock amp, and run the Cleansweep volume knob back to the smart slot cover. Also plan to do an iPod-->RCA connector back to the cleansweep to bypass the HU when using the iPod.

6. Amp. I plan to use a JL Audio G6600 6X100 mounted in the trunk. I plan to run RCA's from the Cleansweep (4 channels) to the Amp, then a 12 wire run from the amp to the rear panel to tie into the car's speaker wires at the stock amp mount point. The G6600 allows you to duplicate channels to convert 4 into 6 (and eliminate the need for an additional crossover).

That's about it. If this doesn't give me what I am looking for, I can then add a new HU at some point in the future.

Once again, sorry for all of the questions right out of the gate, but I would appreciate any advice or feedback that you have time for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
With the 08 convertibles, all amps are located on the rear left side of the boot/trunk, under a black plastic cover, or at least both are in mine, which is a 2008 Aero convertible with the 10 speaker audio.

Not many people have modified the '08 audio system and kept the stock headunit, looking at your plan, I would think it would almost be worth going aftermarket headunit straight away and forget the Cleansweep, much less hassle.

These threads will give you plenty of info about changing the headunit,
Pioneer Navigation install 2007 9-3 Aero - pics
Finally...I have all the parts for the Pioneer Avic D3
Pioneer Avic D3 Installation - Photographs
Pioneer Avic F700bt installed in my 08 9-3SS
AVIC 900BT in 2007 SC with SW functions working
My 2007 Sportwagon Aftermarket Audio Install
Another Kenwood TV into a 2007 9-3 SS
ANOTHER KENWOOD MAKEOVER w/SWC
TurboX stereo. 2-Din Alpine\ Hertz
and I have a PDF copy of the Saab instruction for adding the Premium audio to convertibles, which may help you with locations, sizes and access to various bits of it. PM me your email if you'd like a copy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on this, as well as the PDF.

While I would love to upgrade the stock HU, that process is problematic to me for reasons beyond the install and gathering the bits for the install.

I moved from a 2007 A6 that had an audio system which was much more complicated and distracting than it needed to be. The majority of my traveling/commuting time is spent on my motorcycle, and I prefer the simplicity, which the factory HU certainly is. The fact is, it has all of the features that I need (such as XM), without ones that I don't.

If I replace the head unit, it ends up being a "well, while I'm in there, i might as well add this or that." I'll end up with a nav unit, XM, HD radio, iPod interface, backup camera, bluetooth and SW remote integration. It's a sickness. Plus, I'll be annoyed that the color don't match perfectly or don't dim with the rest of the interior lights.

I figure if i do the Cleansweep, and I ultimately decide to replace the HU, I can eBay the Cleansweep for a decent percentage of the purchase price.

Anybody have advice on 6.5" 4ohm speakers?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts